• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

Possible Yellow-breasted Bunting at Tophill Low NR?

I've just seen this post http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/2011/...w-bunting.html on the Tophill blog about a bunting sp. seen late this afternoon on the reserve.

Thoughts are that it may have been a Yellow-breasted Bunting, but due to brief looks not 100%. I've just spoken with Rich (the reserve warden) and he is going to be there early tomorrow to see if he can relocate it and try and clinch an ID.

If anyone has any free time it might be worth a look!

Cheers, Andy

I've just seen this post http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/2011/...w-bunting.html on the Tophill blog about a bunting sp. seen late this afternoon on the reserve.

Thoughts are that it may have been a Yellow-breasted Bunting, but due to brief looks not 100%. I've just spoken with Rich (the reserve warden) and he is going to be there early tomorrow to see if he can relocate it and try and clinch an ID.

Cheers, Andy

Andy link seems to be broken... try this everyone! http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/

wish i had a day off!!!:C

Went back to Ten Acre Lake today to try and get better pics of the Red Necked Grebe. Went down the right hand side of the lake this time where there is more cover and got much better views. Sadly could not locate any Black Necks at either Boston Park or Huggin Carr. But got a lovely Yellowhammer park itself right in front of the camera at Boston Park. Highlight of the day though was meeting up with Joespy, always nice to put a face to a name.[URL="http://img0667"][URL="http://img0709"]http://img0667[/URL]. [/URL]

Thanks for that Dave.....also good to meet yourself and as you say put Face to Name.
I can't view the pics Dave....is it my computer...?
Yes, sadly I dipped AGAIN for BNG on both lakes, but RNG and 2 Adders at 10 acres will do I suppose..... :t:
Joe
Apologies for crappy digiscoped RNG

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 80
  • P1000072 copy.jpg
    P1000072 copy.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks for that Dave.....also good to meet and as you say put Face to Name.
I can't view the pics Dave....is my computer...
Yes and sadly I dipped AGAIN for BNG on both lakes, but RNG and 2 Adders at 10 acres will do I suppose..... :t:
Joe
Apologies for crappy digiscoped RNG

TOP pics Joe nice one ;) dont be hard on yourself any picture is better than no picture!!

Last edited:

Cheers, Andy

Watch this space - although the date isn't great for either species, it would suit Black-headed Bunting more than Yellow-breasted. Heavily marked Yellowhammer?

Watch this space - although the date isn't great for either species, it would suit Black-headed Bunting more than Yellow-breasted. Heavily marked Yellowhammer?

Yeah I guess there could be abarant Yellowhammer/Reed Buntings, escaped cage birds and weavers to contend with as well as BHBunt. I hope it turns out better than the only yellow-breasted bunting that i've twitched before, that turned out to be (a very nice but not what I wanted) Ortolan!!!

Hopefully Rich will see it and get some photos tomorrow and clear it up one way or another!

Andy

Yeah I guess there could be abarant Yellowhammer/Reed Buntings, escaped cage birds and weavers to contend with as well as BHBunt. I hope it turns out better than the only yellow-breasted bunting that i've twitched before, that turned out to be (a very nice but not what I wanted) Ortolan!!!

Hopefully Rich will see it and get some photos tomorrow and clear it up one way or another!

Andy

Blacktoft Sands today and what would have been a pretty miserable show of birds was made more bearable by the Rough Legged Buzzard (probably the one from S Ferriby) giving some really close and spectacular skirmishes with the Marsh Harriers before perching for a couple of hours on a bush not far from Singleton hide. A single Avocet on Marshland and a couple of Black Tailed Godwits on Xerox were the only two birds worth noting. The Marsh Harriers were doing some amazing sky dancing, seeing about 3 pairs in total. The place was teeming with toads and the weather was glorious so all in all not a bad day. Oh and a Bittern was heard booming on Singleton too.

Edit. Having just looked at a lot of pics of the S Ferriby bird, I don't think it's the same bird.

Having just followed links to the Tophill Low blog http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/ I have a question for some of you. When I was told by the lady running the Blacktoft Sands reception today that there was a Rough Legged Buzzard, I took her at her word. Then when I saw it (quite close while flying) there were features which made me wonder whether she was correct. Firstly the black patches under the wings were missing (she said they were very faint but I couldn't see any) although under the wings was almost all white, and secondly, although it did have a white patch at the top of the tail, it was not very pronounced or solid. It did have the white feathers all the way down the legs though. I also mentioned to her that it could easily be mistaken for an Osprey (which the White Buzzards of Tophill Low have been.) when viewing it on top of a bush. My doubts were kind of taken away by the 8 or 10 serious (looking) birders I saw coming past reception hide confirming this was a RLB. I still have my doubts for the reasons I have given and for the fact that it looked nothing like the bird from S Ferriby. Tophill Low isn't that far from Blacktoft.
Thoughts anyone?

Woodlarks

Has anyone had any recently at any of the Yorks. sites? I'd appreciate a PM - particularly keen on any at songposts that would offer photo. opps.

Thanks.

apparent Green-winged Teal hybrid, Fairburn Ings

Dear all.
Yesterday afternoon at Fairburn Ings I located what I at first took to be a clear cut drake Green-winged Teal. On closer inspection though, it also showed something of a horizontal white scapular bar. I assume it can’t be anything other than a Green-winged/Eurasian Teal hybrid, even though the vertical white bar was very conspicuous, and the horizontal white bar less so. The head pattern also seemed slightly more in tune with Green-winged than Eurasian Teal, with inconspicuous buff edges to the green on the head. Very bad photo attached, and have put it in the id forum for further comments. It was showing distantly on the island from the Village Bay Hide.

Also:
13 Pink-footed Geese with the Canadas at Lin Dyke; total of 4 Willow Tits – one visitor centre feeders, one singing near Bob Dickens hide, two at Lin Dyke (one singing); 12 Lesser Redpoll near Bob Dickens Hide; 1 Kingfisher; c6 singing Chiffchaffs; 1 Sand Martin; 3 Black-tailed Godwits from Lin Dyke

thanks,
Jonathan

Attachments

• 100_1521.JPG
    100_1521.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Had a good survey today around sunk island. Had 2 Chiffchaffs from the garden setting off. On site Little Egret, Brambling and a single Sand Martin were appreciated as were the two Short-eared Owls scrapping. The actual survey was very quiet and between counts I bumped into Garry.

I also managed to shoot off to spurn after and got great views of the male Firecrest in the Crown & Anchor car park late on plus a Swallow overhead. Pics from the day Inc firecrest and owls will be on blog later once I have wrestled the laptop off my wife.

Finally last night I had a woodcock riding over the house. Surprise garden tick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back