• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monty Halls's Great Hebridean Escape - Wed (1/6) 21/4/2010 BBC2 21.00pm-22.00pm (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Monty Halls's Great Hebridean Escape - Wed (1/6) 21/4/2010 BBC2 21.00pm-22.00pm

I saw this mentioned on BBC2 earlier today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s635z

It is new so I think it will be interesting as it has a good write up in tonight's Radio Times.

So we shall see in a little over an hours time ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
not much wildlife but very entertaining,i think the dog is going to be the real star!

Lots of talking about "biggest black guillemot colony on the islands" but not much sign of anything but flowers.
Still very watchable, and no mention of volcanoes or elections.

not much wildlife but very entertaining,i think the dog is going to be the real star!

hi Paul

I was thinking that too..lack of wildlife a little bit.

There was some talk about some of the seabirds. If Monty is asked to show people around the island I am sure that the wildlife will come into its own.

I see this first programme as 'himself' settling in his new abode. So we will see next week. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Enjoyed the programme too. The ever smiling Mr Hall and his faithful pooch made for good entertainment. Not too much wildlife as I thought there would be apart from a short eared owl and shags but it was nice to see Monty getting immersed in the Hebridean way of life and its culture. Don't know if any one else noticed, but whenever Monty was filmed doing outdoor shots,he changed his accent into a pseudo Aussie one. Strange, must be something in the air there.

Si.

I have to say I was a little disappointed tonight (2/6) as the programme was thin on the ground with wildlife - other than a sea bird colony or two.

I feel the programme centres more around Monty, himself, and not the content of the programme along with the beautiful area he is living in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8k80

Never mind ...others opinions may differ.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I have to say I was a little disappointed tonight (2/6) as the programme was thin on the ground with wildlife - other than a sea bird colony or two.

I feel the programme centres more around Monty, himself, and not the content of the programme along with the beautiful area he is living in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8k80

Never mind ...others opinions may differ.

Regards
Kathy
x

Kathy
I'm with you on this one although loved the St Kilda bit. I'm going to Uists in 3 weeks and am not really seeing anything I hadn't already expected other than views of stunning beaches and bays.
I thought there would be more on the wildlife of the islands.

Phil

Don't think this series was ever meant to be a wildlife documentary, (the clue's in the title !!).
Its about the man himself, & how he adapts to the area & the community.
The fact that he's there as a wildlife ranger is only a side line.

Have to say, i've enjoyed it more than the Simon King effort, he certainly has more of a personality, & its more of a warts 'n' all programme.
Just so envious of someone who can just take off, & lose themselves in an environment like that for 6 months.

Don't think this series was ever meant to be a wildlife documentary, (the clue's in the title !!).

Have to say, i've enjoyed it more than the Simon King effort, he certainly has more of a personality, & its more of a warts 'n' all programme.
Just so envious of someone who can just take off, & lose themselves in an environment like that for 6 months.

I didn't say it was a wildlife documentary. Just expressed an opinion about the lack of wildlife, in such a wildlife rich area I would have thought a little more could have been included. I have no problem with him, his presentation skills or the program content on the whole.

Phil

I'm envious of him too, but there again I don't get paid by a large corporation like the Beeb to be able to live the life of a crofter for a few months and look like I'm enjoying it.
Good programme though. St Kilda certainly has a fantastic haunting beauty about it.

Si.

The main problem I can see is that he is only volunteering to do the job for six months, to make the programme. I assume that after that time they will be faced with the problem of financing a full time ranger again. I suppose the publicity from the programme should bring many more visitors which will help with their finances.

In the first programmes I felt like shouting at the TV to tell him to get stuck in and actually do something, rather than just talking about it. He also seemed to be rather incompetent at most things he tried, although he seemed to have improved in the last programme. He still seems to spend most of his time running about with his dog, whilst pointing out all the jobs which need to be done. It looks like a great place to live, though.

Ron

Funny that Ron. My wife thinks I spend too much time running around with our dog and watching birds rather than doing something more constructive. She's always pointing at things. She tells me I have this unnerving habit of looking the other way. Hey ho!

Si.

I really love this programme it's great to see fermilar surroundings for me as Iam sort of part of the hebridian comunity as I've been there my whole life as we have family up there.

The main problem I can see is that he is only volunteering to do the job for six months, to make the programme. I assume that after that time they will be faced with the problem of financing a full time ranger again.

If I remember rightly they used to have a full-time paid ranger (Jim, who features in the programme) but lack of funding meant that he was made redundant some years ago. I can only hope that raising the profile of the islands through this programme generates more income and funding for a new ranger... although my suspicion is that it won't unfortunately.

They're not exactly losing out by having him there though since the role wasn't being carried out anyway and good on him for having a go. I doubt he's been a wildlife ranger before and I would say he's doing the right thing by finding his feet and learning about the place before he starts making changes - too easy to leap in and screw things about before you know what you're doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back