• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spider ID, Bristol, England. 20.11.13. (1 Viewer)

phil baber

Clipped Wing
Europe
Always wanted to identify this Spider, which has appeared in my home. Coerced one into a jar tonight, and filmed it. Here are some grabs. It has a distinctive pattern on the abdomen. It likes to make "trip-wire tent webs" at ground level, in a nook or corner.
Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance! :t:

Attachments

• SPIDER sp. 20.11.13.JPG
    SPIDER sp. 20.11.13.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 56
  • SPIDER sp.1 20.11.13.JPG
    SPIDER sp.1 20.11.13.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 44
  • SPIDER sp.2 20.11.13.JPG
    SPIDER sp.2 20.11.13.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 50
I'm almost sure that's Steatoda grossa
Many thanks Salticus!
My jury is still out. But it looks similar to False Widow spp. And probably the one you suggested? I know the media hype about these arachnids. But I just filmed it and let it go back into the kitchen. I had disturbed it by sweeping after all. ;)
I've lived here some 10 years. I used to have Daddy Long-Legs Spiders. This Autumn I have none. For the first time. But I do have this spp. I wonder if they have predated them?
A nice gentle little Spider, who just wanted to be left alone. But I needed to ID it. Thanks again!:t:

I'm more familiar with Pholcus wiping out other spiders, not the other way round. But as long as I don't have big Tegenarias crawling about them I'm happy.

I'm more familiar with Pholcus wiping out other spiders, not the other way round. But as long as I don't have big Tegenarias crawling about them I'm happy.

My partner has some nice Tegenaria. But luckily they prefer it in the out-buildings. Had a Drosophilia invasion in the kitchen, and my False-Widow is taking out these one by one. And crikey! Is she fast?! :eek!: They only have to touch one of her "scaffold-threads" and she's on them. Blink and you miss it! There's also one in the bathroom, and I found another in the living room, which I re-located to the kitchen. If I believed all the media hype about these small arachnids, I'd be fixing to move out any day soon. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back