• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (15 Viewers)

Oystercatchers think down on the lower shore Omeath yesterday. I have seen these fly over my house here too so must take little trips inland sometimes too.

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45
I saw an unusual black and white bird fly down into Newry canal wednesday and went over to look at it as different and noticed it had a really glossy green head. It looks to me like it was a Goldeneye from the book.

Bird feeders in the garden busy as usual. There were 2 redpolls feeding both on the feeders and on the ground underneath and that has been increasing and when I checked just now there are 7 redpolls there along with about 20 goldfinch.

Was out at Gyles Quay (12.00pm) and counted 28 Black Guillemots on and in front of pier, all paired up

Also saw my first 2 swallows flying along the beach !

Last edited:
Yes! This evening Don Hodgers will give an illustrated talk on moths in Louth and more generally in Ireland. The talk starts at 8pm and will take place upstairs in the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, Dundalk.

As always, all are welcome!

Couple of poor Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler pics from today. It was feeding from top of hedgerow intercepting insects on the wing.
Also egg shell - small bluish colour with red brown spots.

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 43
Tree Sparrows seen in gardens of houses on the hospital hill and close to Monaghan Street.
I have about two types of birds cant properly indentify. One today is one of the most beautiful birds ever saw here with long black pointed upward bill and definite jet black legs and feet and a snow white fluffy front of bird with a very pale beige two half moons edging along upper chest. Seems browny at back that I can see and rounded brown head with query some white at side maybe. A large black eye and can see black and white think on tail front as only view got presently. I had these birds last year a couple of times. Again looking at Flycatchers ............which look like it in book. We have seen black and white Pied Flycatchers here occasionaly in the summer.
Another bird seen twice recently coming with Greenfinches has snow white belly with soft pale yellow little on chest and sides of chest and query it some type of Warbler as has long pointed beak too and always moving it pointed upwards as if warbling singing. Think too big for Chiffchaff though similar coloured so query Marsh or Willow Warblers etc etc or not sure ........

Is there a good website that gives tidal information because everytime I go out the tide is out! Although did manage to see Brent geese,shelduck ,redshank,ringed plover,grey heron,little egret,oystercatcher and dunlin, also seen three terns(dont know which type) flying south. There were plenty of other types of birds in the distance but my id skills wouldnt be the best. Still it was nice to be out and about. Ger.

Is there a good website that gives tidal information because everytime I go out the tide is out! Although did manage to see Brent geese,shelduck ,redshank,ringed plover,grey heron,little egret,oystercatcher and dunlin, also seen three terns(dont know which type) flying south. There were plenty of other types of birds in the distance but my id skills wouldnt be the best. Still it was nice to be out and about. Ger.

Hi Ger

It's all about getting "out and about" - your id skills will improve rapidly by doing so.
Regarding the tide predictions EasyTide is the best one I have come across. I attach the url for Drogheda as I see you are located on the Boyne. You can change the location to Dunany Point or Dundalk if you're heading further north, but it's not really necessary as the differences are hardly worth talking about.

Derek

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0623&PredictionLength=7

I went for a walk along the the old barbed wire fence towards the point rd from the end of the Shore rd Dundalk yesterday 9th about 4-30pm ,and saw a Little/Great white Egret Flying about and then landing in one of the guts(revenes) on the reclaimed land,it stayed about 15 mins and was away again towards Black Rock ! It wasn't far off the size of a Grey Heron,but as I have only seen the Little Egret on the ground then I'm not sure.

I went for a walk along the the old barbed wire fence towards the point rd from the end of the Shore rd Dundalk yesterday 9th about 4-30pm ,and saw a Little/Great white Egret Flying about and then landing in one of the guts(revenes) on the reclaimed land,it stayed about 15 mins and was away again towards Black Rock ! It wasn't far off the size of a Grey Heron,but as I have only seen the Little Egret on the ground then I'm not sure.

I was up there again today and saw two little egrets at the edge of the sand bank. They were definitely little's because these had yellow feet and black bills. They then flew into one of those guts(never heard of these before) and out of sight. I'm not 100% at numbering birds but there were at least 500 to a 1000 brent geese also a good number of greylag geese. There were also a number of rock pipits in the area. On the drive up I nearly had to stop the car on a roundabout as two fat yellowhammer were taking their time getting off the road. Thanks Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back