• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Kenya info wanted (1 Viewer)

cornishbirder

Exiled in Surrey
Thinking about Kenya in Jan next year using one of the coastal resorts (Watamu ) as a base ...how easy is it to arrange birding trips /safaris ? most trip reports seem to indicate that its not easy at all ?any info gratefully received

Hello

You're going to find this a little far-fetched - but I've funded a safari bus for a chap in Watamu, who is a bird guide. The bus has just been completed with pop-up roof and is ready for action. It cost the best part of £10k, partly funded from charity fund raising over the last three years. I was going to announce it in a few weeks time after I visit Watamu in August but here's the advanced scoop !!

There is a Company out there who offer guiding and I don't want to interfere. Hoewever, anyone looking to visit the coastal region, and Tsavo Parks, is welcome to PM me and I will give you more details.

I've visited twice Kenya twice and have submitted reports, which are easily found on the internet.

Cheers
Bob

From the Watamu area very easy to get hold of the birding guides of Arabuko-Sokoke forest - they have a local association and they're brilliant!

They didn't have vehicles I was there the last although granted, I was using my own and didn't ask. If Bob (above) has participated in that vehicle for this are then you're well sorted.

Some seriously good, and mostly easy birding - the Sokoke Scops is a bugger to find but certainly well worth it.

Cheers
Marcell

We stayed in watamu a while ago now (Turtle Bay) Had no trouble at all booking a safari from there Tsarvo east and west were great! the salt lick was brilliant overnight stay with great game viewing was up till about AM watching and listening (the belly rumbles from Lions calling is incredible).
Cant say much for the birds as i wasn't into them at the time but i do remember the ginifawl (African chicken as our guide called them), fish eagles, vultures , superb starlings and secretary birds.
HTH

We stayed in watamu a while ago now (Turtle Bay) Had no trouble at all booking a safari from there Tsarvo east and west were great! the salt lick was brilliant overnight stay with great game viewing was up till about AM watching and listening (the belly rumbles from Lions calling is incredible).
Cant say much for the birds as i wasn't into them at the time but i do remember the ginifawl (African chicken as our guide called them), fish eagles, vultures , superb starlings and secretary birds.
HTH
Thanks ..I think thats the problem most of the tours are for people who only want to see the mammals ...we want more focus on birding

We also went to the ngoro goro Crater in Tanzania the guide that took us down into the Crater was a bird expert but it was luck of the draw. The drivers are very knowledgeable so if you tell them your interest I'm sure they would try to oblige.

Just done a quick google dont know when your thinking of going......

http://www.birdfinders.co.uk/tours/kenya-coast.htm

They are a uk based company so a quick call to them might give you some more info

HTH's
Shiny

Last edited:
Mida Creek is very near, with rafts of Crab Plover & Terek Sandpipers almost running around your feet, (just to mention a couple.) The Sokoke Forest is also very near with Peter's Twinspot plus endemics like the Sokoke Pipit amongst others. These trips were arranged through the Hotel but I found out after that they could have been arranged much cheaper by not using the Hotel, however at least they organise it all and the hotel taxi takes you to the Creek. A local guy called Jonathan is the superb guide that takes you around the Sokoke Forest and he picks you up at the Hotel and I believe you can contact him direct by email at the Sokoke Forest Reserve.
As an aside not too many birds around the hotel (Turtle Bay) but still plenty of weavers, waxbills, tinkerbirds I also had Carmine Bee-Eaters over the sea.
(I was there in March so the birds if no resident will vary according to the time of year.)
The Turtle Bay Hotel was exceptional and I met some great Kenyans there.
I would not hesitate to go back there!

regards
Merlin

Just done a quick google dont know when your thinking of going......

http://www.birdfinders.co.uk/tours/kenya-coast.htm

They are a uk based company so a quick call to them might give you some more info

HTH's
Shiny

Holy crap - look at what they charge for this trip....£3695!!!!! Just found a 2wk all inclusive on the same coast for £499pp....!!! So that leaves £3200 (which should cover it! ;)) for safaris and local trips (probably using the same guys!!!) Ouch - how can they justify these charges????

Hi,

I stayed at the Turtle Bay Beach Club in Watamu in 2004. At the time they were joining forces with local birding guides called Spinetail Safaris.
I have attached my report to give you some idea as to what birding packages were available.

If it is still operating then they provided both local birding and a birding based safari all booked through the hotel.

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/kenya/kenya8/kenya-oct-04.htm

Holy crap - look at what they charge for this trip....£3695!!!!! Just found a 2wk all inclusive on the same coast for £499pp....!!! So that leaves £3200 (which should cover it! ;)) for safaris and local trips (probably using the same guys!!!) Ouch - how can they justify these charges????

I Know there prices are high but it might be worth picking the brains. I didnt say book.

There's a huge range of accommodation in Malindi from the very expensive down to cheap and cheerful - also some mid-range places with an "all inclusive" (full board) price although they're frequented by tour groups very often but not bad value for money.

Stevie; I think Spinetails still operates as it consists of the Arabuko Sokoke bird guides and most establishments around Malindi should have at least a contact number for them.

As I mentioned earlier - they're (the birding guides) are a great bunch of guys and probably some of the best birding guides in Kenya.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back