• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewicks Wren? and another hawk, San Jose CA (1 Viewer)

yardism

First, I'd like to say thanks to all who visit these thread and help out novices like myself.

I'm pretty sure this is a Bewick's Wren, which also happens to be banded. Should I report the sighting of a banded bird anywhere?

Also, can someone ID this hawk seen in two photos taken a moment apart?

Attachments

• Bewick's Wren.jpg
    Bewick's Wren.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 74
  • hawk-id.jpg
    hawk-id.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 80
Yes, Bewick's Wren. The hawk is a Northern Harrier.

I'm not knowledgeable about banding so can't help you about that.

Last edited:
Agree with fugl.

With a relatively sedentary bird like Bewick's, whoever banded it likely did so locally in SJ and may be tracking it on site. You could contact the Bird Banding Laboratory (USGS, email address is [email protected] ), although they're so under-staffed and busy you might not hear back for some time. It'd be one thing if you had the band number.

Thanks Steve, I did run across that site last night and filled out a report. I might try to get back out there today and see if I can spot it again. I didn't realize it was banded until I got home and was going through my pics of the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back