• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Species ID (1 Viewer)

1. Is puzzling, though it looks like an oriole. The head and wing pattern don't seem right for Hooded but I'm not sure what it fits.
2. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
3. Savannah Sparrow
4. Domestic ducks

1st is an oriole.....but can't match it with a native species. Looks a bit Troupial-ish....? Not sure which 'exotics' are roaming around LA

I think the first birds is a Venezuelan Troupial Icterus icterus. Caveat: I am identifying this solely out of a book (Ridgely and Tudor's Field Guide to the Songbirds of South America, 2009), as I have never been to South America. That species would be an escape in California.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back