• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Pond Heron? Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

Jayefbee

I took this photo on 16 March at Sabkhat Al Fasl in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia (Arabian Gulf coast). It is the only photo I have of the bird as it flew off and could not be relocated. It looks like an Indian Pond Heron but has a few features that to me at least, do not look convincing.

The bill size and shape
The amount and thickness of streaking on the head and neck
The amount of white on the center of the neck
Loral line is not as dark as I would have liked
Buffish ground colour to neck (difficult to work out if this is a light effect or true colour)

The bird is coming into summer plumage so could this be an Indian Pond Heron, as most of the features mentioned above are for immature birds in winter plumage. Bill size and shape of course is not. The last feathers to be moulted on Indian Pond Heron are the neck feathers I think, so maybe this is why the neck streaking is not quite as thick as I expected? And some summer plumaged IPH have very reduced dark loral strip like the Saudi Arabian bird.

I have not seen Indian Pond Heron before so any thoughts and comments on the bird would be very welcome.

Jem
www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com

Attachments

• IPH or SH.jpg
    IPH or SH.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back