• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manu Road Flycatchers, Peru. (1 Viewer)

Drevni

Hello everyone,

I am having difficulties identifying some flycatchers that I saw on the Manu Road recently. These were all taken in the vicinity of the Manu Paradise Lodge, around 12th of December. All help is greatly appreciated!

ManuRoadDecember112011-1-1.jpg

ManuRoadDecember112011-4.jpg

ManuRoadDecember112011-3.jpg

ManuRoadDecember112011-3-1.jpg

ManuRoadDecember112011-1.jpg

Thanks as usual!

These are really distant shots and can't really see much detail in any of these birds, but I'll have a go:

1 and 5: one of the larger, streaked, and masked flycatchers -- Piratic? Variegated? don't know beyond that

2: Tropical Kingbird? going by the general color impression

3: Elaenia sp, with that bifurcated crest

4: a Pewee/Olive-sided Flycatcher... it seems to have a pale throat? hard to judge due to distance

Carlos

I agree with Carlos on those. That first one could be a Streaked.
My vote for the elaenia is Mottle-backed.
Last bird also looks like a Streaked Fly.

The first one looks small-billed so I would lean towards Piratic. Agree with TK for 2. I also agree with Patrick about 3 being Mottle-backed Elaenia with that crest. 4 looks too long-tailed for Olive-sided Flycatcher so my vote would go to one of the wood-pewees. 5 looks stronger-billed that 1 so I would agree with Patrick about Streaked Flycatcher

ManuRoadDecember112011-1-1.jpg

It could be Piratic Flycatcher.

ManuRoadDecember112011-4.jpg

Def TK.

ManuRoadDecember112011-3.jpg

Def Mottle-backed Elaenia

ManuRoadDecember112011-3-1.jpg

I think it may be too slaty for any of the Wood-Pewees and that the thing that appears as a wingbar may well be part of the branch. If an all slaty pewee at that altitude sitting right in the open, I'd go for Smoke-colored Pewee. Maybe you have more pictures?

ManuRoadDecember112011-1.jpg

The last bird is a Golden-crowned Flycatcher. Note that it is plain above.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back