• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calls of petrosus, littoralis and spinolleta Pipits (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I've resolved to see if I can back up a long held belief I've had that Water Pipits and Rock Pipits sound subtly different, so this thread is going to be a slow developer while I use it to store calls of Pipits. I had 7 Rock Pipits today - all feeding in a fresh water marsh. I recorded all 1hr 20mins of my walk, so it will take me a long time to find and sonagram the calls. One was quite an extreme littoralis - and probably all of them were migrants - hence likely litts.

One bird sounded more zinc and less fisst in the field - its was a very bright bird on the ground, but was in possession of a grey/olive bum.. (I think the next one on my recording, but this one could be the same bird Getting a recording of a Water Pipit might be a challenge though - so please feel free to join in!

Attachments

• A.p.litoralis RR fresh marsh 13-11-13.wav
    944.5 KB · Views: 53
  • littoralis Rock Pipit RR 13-11-13.jpg
    littoralis Rock Pipit RR 13-11-13.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Another presumed Lit with white/ish outer web to the TF at least - there was a lot of wind noise (which I've filtered out - just learning to use audacity!)

Attachments

• Rock Pipit pres litt 13-11-13 RR.wav
    410.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Rock PIpit - pres littoralis RR 13-11-13.jpg
    Rock PIpit - pres littoralis RR 13-11-13.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Rock Pipit pres litt 13-11-13 RR unfiltered.wav
    617.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
and finally for a small group of Rock PIpits I flushed... I'm surprised about how complex the calls seem to be!

Attachments

• 3 Rock Pipits 13-11-13 RR.wav
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 3s Rockits RR 13-11-13.jpg
    3s Rockits RR 13-11-13.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back