• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat ID please (Somerset) (1 Viewer)

Adrian D

I would be grateful if someone could offer an ID for the attached photo please.

The bat was flying at midday (after a cold wet night) over a road and out over water, appearing to pick items from the water surface. It was observed doing this for about 20 mins flying a regular pattern.
The photo was taken on the Avalon Marshes in Somerset last week.
It appeared to be a medium-sized bat, slightly larger that a Pip or Long-eared, but not as large as a Noctule, however, my knowledge of bats is fairly basic.

My best guess is a Natterer's Bat, but happy to be corrected.

Attachments

• Bat-(species-unknown).jpg
    Bat-(species-unknown).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 121
Perhaps it's more likely to be a Daubenton's Bat going by its behaviour. They're the species most often seen picking up insects from the surface of water.

Thank you for your replies,

My first thought was indeed Daubenton's due to their association with water, but it was the tail membrane joining the leg higher than where the wing-membrane joins which led me to think it may be a Natterer's (based on the photos in a field guide I have.

Is the projection of the tail-tip beyond the tail membrane the definitive ID clue to it being a Serotine then?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back