• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Having strictly observed my policy of ''there are so many Waxwings about that I'm bound to see one eventually this winter without making any effort'' I was finally rewarded on staggering out of the Lawnswood Arms (Adel, Leeds) this lunchtime - 4 of the little beauties sat in the tree top directly opposite. Or was that double malt deceiving me........

Having strictly observed my policy of ''there are so many Waxwings about that I'm bound to see one eventually this winter without making any effort'' I was finally rewarded on staggering out of the Lawnswood Arms (Adel, Leeds) this lunchtime - 4 of the little beauties sat in the tree top directly opposite. Or was that double malt deceiving me........

Brilliant to hear that - I live nearby and have seen one solitary one on my patch! But did catch about 30 by the Wharfe in Ilkley earlier this year. ;)

Does anybody know if the rough legged buzzard is still hanging about South Ferriby?

Hi Steph - we went Tuesday and saw it easily enough. Its not being widely reported - dont know why, seems to be a "Lincs" thing!
Its def settled and shows well so go for it. No reason why you should not see it - just scan the metal fences and the fields, we had it perched on the fence along side Woodpigeons and in the fields eating worms,

Cheers Dan

Hi Steph - we went Tuesday and saw it easily enough. Its not being widely reported - dont know why, seems to be a "Lincs" thing!
Its def settled and shows well so go for it. No reason why you should not see it - just scan the metal fences and the fields, we had it perched on the fence along side Woodpigeons and in the fields eating worms,

Cheers Dan

Thanks Dan. I know the area well, I lived for a while at Barton on Humber, and understand it is viewable from the layby near the cement works. I will be there for a couple of days and wanted to make the most of it. There are quite a few good sites on the North Lincs coast or the south bank of the Humber.

Thanks for the Swinemoor advice Hotspur, am making an effort to get out and about more in the New Year so that sounds like another good area to visit. I see plenty of birds down the old train line near where I live ( ex-York to Beverley) but am looking to see a lot more in the local area. Any species of Woodpecker is a must for me, as my elderly parents went on holiday recently in the Yorkshire Dales and had a Greater Spotted Woody visiting a feeder at their cottage every day, was a bit miffed as I've never had a sniff of one where I live in Beverley!

Hi Folks - been off line for a while (family responsibilities then the flu) and just been catching up on all your news. The snow has brought fieldfare, redwings and a brambling into the garden but, as yet, I've not managed to tempt any of the Leeds waxwings to my Leeds 4 location. I suppose there is still time although the thrushes have almost finished the berry supply.

In case I don't log on tomorrow - here's wishing you a fabulous new year and I hope to see some of you over 2011.

Linda

Glad you liked Potteric Tim, it's one of my favourite reserves as well. What was the reserve like for ice today? Any large areas of open water?

Hi Keith

Can't say there was alot of open water, although as it was quite foggy we did not really head down into the main body of the reserve as you just couldn't see that far. What we could see was still frozen.

There was melt water on top of the ice though so hopefully the wild fowl will soon be returning.

Tim.

Aye, best wishes to all. Hope 2011 is a great year for you all in every way.

Nipped to Calder Wetlands today, still plenty of frozen water. Watched a dog run round the ice for five minutes chasing everything it could see, it went in twice - got out both times. Didn't see much else on a brief outing.

Best of luck to those trying to get a flying start in the morning.

It won't be a flying start Jim... got to surface first. With luck it will be 10.00 to 10.30 when I'm setting out. Gonna nail that RBG at Mirfield then who knows where.

Dipped on the Iceland Gull at Scarborough today, 3 adult Med Gulls at Holbeck Hall car park, and at least 500 or more Wigeon on the sea at north bay near the sea life centre
MediterraneanGull001-1.jpg

Best wishes to all and hopefully some great birding in 2010.

For anyone interested I have posted my own birding and photographic review of 2011 on the blog.

All the best!

Thanks for the Swinemoor advice Hotspur, am making an effort to get out and about more in the New Year so that sounds like another good area to visit. I see plenty of birds down the old train line near where I live ( ex-York to Beverley) but am looking to see a lot more in the local area. Any species of Woodpecker is a must for me, as my elderly parents went on holiday recently in the Yorkshire Dales and had a Greater Spotted Woody visiting a feeder at their cottage every day, was a bit miffed as I've never had a sniff of one where I live in Beverley!

Oh dear, I take them for granted in Hull, as I get a pair every day on our suet block, with babies visiting in June/July. A lot of my clients live in Beverley, so I could ask them if any get them visiting their bird tables/feeders

You can see the Great Spotted babies here, plus poor old scruffy, who died a couple of weeks ago, after being with us for over a year!

http://eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/2010/06/garden-fledglings-scruffy.html

Thanks again Birdflower, lovely photos by the way on your blog, poor Scruffy, at least he lives on in your photos! I will be checking out Burton Bushes and will post here if I manage to find what I am looking for. Happy New Year to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back