• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

The Wynding Bamburgh

For eiders, we have always found them either in Amble Harbour - wonderful Fish & chips and Ice Cream. There is also a one-hour boat trip round Coquet Island from the Harbour.

Or The Winding at Bamburgh often has groups of male eider and/or the crêches of young with "Aunties"! Driving from Seahouses, enter Bamburgh. As soon as you pass the Castle on your right, take the first right which goes to the Wynding and the Golf club. Parking near the Golf club gives a lovely open view and access to the beach.

I went to Kielder today. Sadly the Webcam stream is not working so we saw no live action on the nests. There are eight chicks - one male, the others female. Roy Dennis was there recently, in order to ring and tag the osprey chicks. The nest is two miles across the Lake so it really is not worth going unless they have managed to get the webstream working.

First eider (f) great skua, full.pic arctic turn.

First 3 hours, so far so good. Need a first male eider

Clocked two Black-headed Gull wearing white, coded rings (four characters in black text) in Druridge Bay's lakeside picnic area yesterday. Both started with a J (which means they're from Norway) but could only get a full read of one of the them - J6CZ. If anyone fancies having a pop at the other one it'll make Lista Ringing Group very happy if you report it to: clifu[at]c2i.net

Lower Newton Scrape

16 Snipe, 6 Dunlin, 46 Greylag geese, 2 Ruff (1 imm), many Black headed gulls, 2 Eider (no males!)

Lesser white throat and white throated warblers were doing well at the path as well as yellowhammers, so many swallows too. The odd swift but 1 out of 25.

Fanre tomorrow! Thank the lord! Farne tomorrow!

A little egret, I understand that here they are seen as a little more scarce so I thought that it was worth a mention. (I too wonder why I mentioned the black headed gulls)

Erm, staple island was frankly bloody amazing. Just stunning...

If the A1 did not exist, this place would be in the stone age still.

Highlight so far, too many to count, just such a great place..

Will do a massive linked post for you all at end of trip

Today, woodsand poss, I never reported it, razorbill, puffin, fulmar chick, kittwakes, roseate terns (yes, plural)so many sandwich terns, seals, gannets, eider.

If you fail to appreciate this wonderful county then god help you! It is absolutely stunning!

Anyone know if the pratincole is still around at Castle Island?

Might try and fit a cycle ride in at lunch time......

Staple Island

I take it that you were able to land on Staple? The last twice I've been, the swell was too great.

Did you hear the seals singing - that's magical!

I'm so glad you have enjoyed your Northumbrian trip; no doubt you will be coming back......................

June

Erm, staple island was frankly bloody amazing. Just stunning...

If the A1 did not exist, this place would be in the stone age still.

Highlight so far, too many to count, just such a great place..

Will do a massive linked post for you all at end of trip

Today, woodsand poss, I never reported it, razorbill, puffin, fulmar chick, kittwakes, roseate terns (yes, plural)so many sandwich terns, seals, gannets, eider.

If you fail to appreciate this wonderful county then god help you! It is absolutely stunning!

I take it that you were able to land on Staple? The last twice I've been, the swell was too great.

Did you hear the seals singing - that's magical!

I'm so glad you have enjoyed your Northumbrian trip; no doubt you will be coming back......................

June

I heard them more on Holy island this morning. Along with an unknown species of bunting. Birds of prey seem lacking, however the place is immense.

Didn't manage to get out yesterday anyway.... might try again today, but sounds like evening is best...? Would love to see one on the Wansbeck before I head off to watch them at Salinas El Pinet next week :)

No sign of a pratincole at Castle Island 7-8pm last night. Lots of waders though, with black-tailed godwit, lapwing, dunlin, redshank and ringed plover all present, plus a single little egret being continually harassed by two grey heron, and a common tern feeding a noisy juvenile.

No sign of a pratincole at Castle Island 7-8pm last night. Lots of waders though, with black-tailed godwit, lapwing, dunlin, redshank and ringed plover all present, plus a single little egret being continually harassed by two grey heron, and a common tern feeding a noisy juvenile.

I'm wondering if one of the dunlin at Castle Island may have been a curlew sandpiper, as I wrote "one with white rump black tail tip" in my notes, but only got home to check my Collins today, and this might fit. And I think the ringed plover were little ringed plover!

(I really need a refresher course on my waders!).

Last edited:
Snab Point - 31st July

Whilst watching from Snab Point, Cresswell on a beautiful evening we witnessed a short eared owl fly in from the horizon, trying for a couple of eiders before flyiing inland towards Lynemouth. It was really well marked and the light was great - but no camera.

A colleague tells me her friend, an offshore surveyor, had 70 SEO land on their survey boat in the North Sea last year, he presumed coming across from Holland!

Early migration of waders evident from the small group of golden plover, turnstone, knot and Ringed Plover. The knot and G.plover in particular still showing signs of their breeding plumage. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm wondering if one of the dunlin at Castle Island may have been a curlew sandpiper, as I wrote "one with white rump black tail tip" in my notes, but only got home to check my Collins today, and this might fit. And I think the ringed plover were little ringed plover!

(I really need a refresher course on my waders!).
There were a couple of Green Sandpipers at Castle Island earlier on Thursday afternoon (31st July) - maybe it was one of them? Also yep, two Little Ringed Plovers (and one Common Ringed Plover) there then too.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back