• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL Bins 8 x 32/ 10x32 (1 Viewer)

Good bins indeed but not if you watch moths and other close up subjects, Pete, I think.

Last edited:
For optical performance, I too recommend the Nikon SE 8x32. I haven't used the new Leica Ultravid 8x32, but suspect it's pretty stupendous, as I bought the 7x42 model and consider it the best thing I've ever used. Just this past weekend I had the opportunity to really use the Swarovski EL 8x32. Wow. Ergonomically it might be the best I have ever held, and the focusing mechanism is exceptional. Wonderful optics, though I couldn't compare them side-by-side with other glasses.

Today I went to try them out as you all suggested. I decided on the Swaro 8 x 32 on the grounds that (a) can't take it with me when I'm gone. They were the lightest available and very very comfortable to hold. And of course - super clear.
(My Elite's have gone back to Vickers yet again for repair. Has any one else had fun and games with this company?)
So I am looking forward to getting out and using the new bins. At the moment I'm in and out of the garden - watching the siskins and tits. Many many thanks for all the help and advice - but as you all said - you really have to go and try them. Incidentally I did get them locally - as I could try them out - and the difference was only £10.
Kim

hi all

I have changed my handle (I am the artist formerly known as iebirdie, now masquerading as a more user friendly niallo...).

Those Swaros are super. Did I read somewhere that the Swaro 8x32EL came second in a mag test a month or so ago ? I think the Uvid came first, and 8.5x Swaro third.
I did not see the article. What in particular did it say about the 8x32 EL (in brief ?) if anyone has the article to hand ? Particularly with respect to resolution/sharpness and of course brightness (it is after all only a 32)

Seeing as I am here (semi sober after a long St Patty's Day !) I was speaking with a very well known birding optics dealership the other day, and re the Ultravid, they are getting a "significant" number returned with focussing wheel problems.... He might have just been using this as a ploy to push Swarovski, but thought it was interesting.

cheers
Niall

niallo said:
hi all

I have changed my handle (I am the artist formerly known as iebirdie, now masquerading as a more user friendly niallo...).

Those Swaros are super. Did I read somewhere that the Swaro 8x32EL came second in a mag test a month or so ago ? I think the Uvid came first, and 8.5x Swaro third.
I did not see the article. What in particular did it say about the 8x32 EL (in brief ?) if anyone has the article to hand ? Particularly with respect to resolution/sharpness and of course brightness (it is after all only a 32)

Seeing as I am here (semi sober after a long St Patty's Day !) I was speaking with a very well known birding optics dealership the other day, and re the Ultravid, they are getting a "significant" number returned with focussing wheel problems.... He might have just been using this as a ploy to push Swarovski, but thought it was interesting.

cheers
Niall

As I said elsewhere, a salesman for a VERY well known chain of UK optics dealers recently told me that the Leica APO 77 scope was not up to much compared to the Swaro and Nikon. He did not sell Leica, and did not have a Zeiss in stock, and was obviously telling a blatant lie. Quite shameful.

Anyway, Kim will be able to enjoy some really good birding with her shiny new bins, and no doubt get a few envious looks too!

There seem to be problems with the Swarovski EL focusing mechanism. My 10x42s are being serviced after 'drying up' after a few years. Kay Optical in Morden told me that they've had a lot of ELs through the shop with the same problem, including at least one pair of 8x32s.

Kay Optical generally push Swarovski so I've no reason not to believe them.

My 8x42 Ultravids are OK so far, ie, after a month. A slight initial stiffness has eased with use. But the focusing on Leica and Swarovski is not as good as it should be. Nikon is probably better (tho the 8x32SEs tend to be stiff).

Sean

kim said:
Hi
Because of increasing arthiritis in my hands I am going to have to buy light weight bins. I have narrowed my choice down to swaro 8 x32 or 10 x 32 and would appreciate any comments from owners who have experience of these. Am also encouraged to buy Swaro because of the good service comments which I regularly hear. At present I have Bausch and Lomb Elite (they are brilliant for close up and dragonfly spotting - but very heavy) but the service from Vickers was appalling.

Any advice on the Swaro bins would relaly be appreciated
Thanks
Kim

Hi,

New to the forum and didn't see that you had allready bought a pair. They are fantastic are they not! Mine are so good that I have sent my 7x42BGATPs for service and am actively researching upgrading. Now if only Swarovski made a 7x42EL....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back