• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapter for Nikon ED50 and Olympus E520 DSLR (1 Viewer)

GinP

Hello from a newly registered member. I've tried a search for what has initially brought me here but I can't find an answer, so here goes with a new thread.

I must first confess to having no knowledge at all of photographing with a fieldscope so if you can advise me please keep it simple to help me clearly understand!!

I have an Olympus E520 DSLR which I have only recently purchased and now I am tempted to buy a Nikon ED50 with an angled lense as my eyesight is getting somewhat poorer and bird spotting with handheld bins. is getting more and more unsatisfactory.

I cannot find any adapter/connector/eyepiece which would link my camera to the scope and Nikon say they can't help- as I expect would be the same answer from Olympus so I'm unsure as to whether these two pieces of kit can ever be compatible?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Hello from a newly registered member. I've tried a search for what has initially brought me here but I can't find an answer, so here goes with a new thread.

I must first confess to having no knowledge at all of photographing with a fieldscope so if you can advise me please keep it simple to help me clearly understand!!

I have an Olympus E520 DSLR which I have only recently purchased and now I am tempted to buy a Nikon ED50 with an angled lense as my eyesight is getting somewhat poorer and bird spotting with handheld bins. is getting more and more unsatisfactory.

I cannot find any adapter/connector/eyepiece which would link my camera to the scope and Nikon say they can't help- as I expect would be the same answer from Olympus so I'm unsure as to whether these two pieces of kit can ever be compatible?

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Hi,

I have a E520 myself and after reading all posts in this forum as well as other places I came to the conclusing not to use it in combination with my scope (by coincidence, happens to be a Nikon scope too, ED82A). Reasons for not doing it:
- As you write, there is no adapter from Nikon or Olympus that fits the E520 with Nikon scopes, and there are as far as I know no other sources, meaning you will have to manufacture it yourself which I guess would be a challenge.
- The general opinion on this forum seems to be that DSLR are difficult to use with a spotting scope, the general opinion seems to be in favor using a compact camera. That said, it is not impossible, just more difficult.

BR
Tord

I have an ED50 w/ the zoom eyepiece and found that a simple toilet paper tube fits about perfect over the eyepiece. If your camera happens to fit, you might be able to wrap duct tape around the tubing to 'firm' it up, and shorten it to length. Costs nothing, and might get you started toward making a more digiscoping adaptor yourself.

I have an ED50 w/ the zoom eyepiece and found that a simple toilet paper tube fits about perfect over the eyepiece. If your camera happens to fit, you might be able to wrap duct tape around the tubing to 'firm' it up, and shorten it to length. Costs nothing, and might get you started toward making a more digiscoping adaptor yourself.

Jourdaj,

I doubt this adaptor design will be suitable for mounting a DSLR camera body... since the eypiece needs to be unmounted for this type of setups.

It might be a starting point to manufacture a lightweight compact camera adaptor, though.

/Tord

Jourdaj,

I doubt this adaptor design will be suitable for mounting a DSLR camera body... since the eypiece needs to be unmounted for this type of setups.

It might be a starting point to manufacture a lightweight compact camera adaptor, though.

/Tord

Apologies and belated thanks to both of you for your helpful responses- My purchase of the ED50 was thwarted but I have now sourced another and I reckon given my DIY skills!!!! that I'd be better off sticking to the compact camera choice which is a pity as this means a further purchase but it looks the best option for me.

Thanks again chaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back