• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82A and digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Peewee

I am really interested in buying this scope. I am also convinced of it’s capabilities but I have some questions about digiscoping with this scope in combination with a compact camera. I currently have a Sanyo MZ3 2.0 MP compact camera (3x opt. Zoom) but will consider buying an other compact camera if this is necessary (Canon A95 possibly). Hope someone can help.

1. If I buy a zoom 20x60 (which is 25x75 with this scope) MC2 eye piece with this scope what adapter would be best to go along with my camera (or my possible future camera the Canon A95??) ?

2. If I use this combination and try to shoot some pictures of birds in my backyard will this be possible knowing the distance between of the set-up and the bird is only about 7 meters. In other words if I want to shoot pictures of lets say finches at this close range be possible with this set-up?

3. If so, would a fixed focus 30x e.p. give better results?

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Peter

There no problem with the quality of Nikon scope, you can get quality image with, but even better just to looking at. If you whant to see some image taken throught it see in my gallery. I use the common and well know Nikon cp4500 and 990, I so don't know for the Sanyo, but ear good comment regarding the A95 for digiscoping. I use myself the 30X DS eyepiece (wide angle), this eyepiece give no vignetting or only very little at the widest angle of the camera, I also have the zoom eyepiece that are very good, but once you see trought the wide angle one it's difficult to come back to the zoom (and as not so convenient for digiscoping). For the adapter, with the DS eyepiece you only need the FS-3 + a ring to connect the adapter to the camera. Someone here in the forum told that for the A95 you only need a step ring of 52mm/58mm + the FS-3.
Hope this help

Avan

Thanks a lot. I took a look at your pictures. Although I am no expert I think they look very good. Looks promising for me as well. I have a few questions that I hope you (or someone else) can answer.

What is your experience with close range watching and digiscoping with the ED82A? The thing is that I also want to use the scope to watch (and digiscope) birds in my backyard. The birds (size of finches mostly) could be as close as 7 meters from the scope. The minimal magnification of the scope with the zoom e.p. is 25x. I was thinking that this could just be a little to much for watching or digiscoping at this close a range. What is your experience?

And how about the 30X fixed DS eyepiece?

I was thinking of maybe buying a zoom and a fixed DS eyepiece. If I do, I want to try digiscoping with both. The Nikon adapter for the DS eyepiece is another adapter then the one I would need for the zoom. I also read about the stepup ring in order to connect the A95 to the adapter. Looks good but still does nog solve mthe problem because it seems to me that I need a different adapter for each e.p. That does not seem handy to me. I am now thinking of buying a Baader adapter http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=400 which I think I can use with both eyepieces. Good choice?

Thanks in advance. Peter.

The minimal distance with the 82 ED it's 13ft, I digiscope some birds at very low distance with no problem. At 30 ft in my backyard I can take all the bird. The DS are much fun to use for digiscoping and the eyeview also with the larger view, there are no noticiable difference between the 25X vs the 30X. For the adaptor, both the zoom and the DS use the same adapter; the FS-1,2,3 + step ring, with the DS you just use the FS-3 + ring, as the DS eyepiece are shape like the FS-2. Also if you want to change the zoom say from 30X to 50X, you have to take off the camera, unscrew the FS-2, change the magnification and put back everything.Finaly I have to say that I rarely use the zoom eyepiece now.

Avan

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that close range watching and digiscoping is no problem.

With regard to the adapter I think I understand what you say. If I look at the pictures on this link http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm#4 I will be needing the following items when I want to use the canon A95.

When using a DS eyepiece:

1. FSA-3,
2. an attachment ring such as the number 1 (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=45349 ) ,
3, a 52/58 stepup ring (to attach to the Canon A95 conversion lens adapter) and
4. a Canon Lens adapter ( http://www.adorama.com/ICALADC52D.html ).

When using the zoom eyepiece :

1. FSA-1
2. FSA-2,
3. FSA-3,
4. an attachment ring ,
5. a 52/58 stepup ring (to attach to the Canon A95 conversion lens adapter) and
6. a Canon Lens adapter ( http://www.adorama.com/ICALADC52D.html ).

Is this correct?

With the DS: FSA-3(1) + step ring 52/58mmm(3). As you use a Canon A95, you don't need the cp9XX ring(2), instead you use the step ring 52/58. That right that you need the Canon extension lens also(6).

For the zoom: FSA-1,2,3 (1-2-3)+ step ring 52/58 (5)+ Canon extension lens(6).

For the extension lens, I ear that the Canon one are in plastic. Place like Photosolve (I think they have) sold them in metal, that is more durable and safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back