• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who Made World War II Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

The first binoculars that I ever used belonged to my grandfather. The were WWII 7x50 US Navy issued binoculars.They seemed to be pretty good quality binoculars at the time I used them. I wondered if anyone knew which manufacturers made binoculars for the US Navy in WWII and of what quality they were for their time. I wish I could look through them now to see if the view impressed me as much as they did when I was 12.

The first binoculars that I ever used belonged to my grandfather. The were WWII 7x50 US Navy issued binoculars.They seemed to be pretty good quality binoculars at the time I used them. I wondered if anyone knew which manufacturers made binoculars for the US Navy in WWII and of what quality they were for their time. I wish I could look through them now to see if the view impressed me as much as they did when I was 12.

I'm pretty sure Bausch & Lomb (now out of the binocular business completely, I believe) was a important supplier to the navy during WWII, though there may have been other manufacturers as well. The optical quality of the navy 7 x 50s was I think excellent for the time; in the interests of tight sealing against the sea air, however, and like all marine porros, they lacked central focusing so they weren't as convenient for birding as they might have been.

I imagine there will be someone along soon with more knowledge on the subject than I have to add to this.

Last edited:
Naval binoculars were also made by Spencer Optical in Buffalo. Square D, also known as SARD assembled binoculars in Flushing, not far from the current Shea Stadium.

Heyward and National also supplied naval binoculars. B&L also supplied the Army, and Universal Camera assembled binoculars, generally 6x30, for both the Army, the Marine Corps. and Navy.
see this and this for the army and for the whole site.

Additionally, many prewar binoculars were donated to the Navy.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I believe they did have those indvidually focusing eyepieces.
Yes, all military binoculars have ocular focusing and with young eyes, setting them at the "0" will give a good focus from a few hundred feet to infinity.
If you have never looked through a clean pair of WW2 bins, you will be amazed at the quality and brightness, even though many had uncoated lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back