• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help and advice for a spotting scope (1 Viewer)

timalansmith

Hello, my name is alan and I am a newby to these threads!
I like taking pictures of birds and have joined a bird club inDerbyshire wher I live.
I currently use a minolta 7D digital camera and a 70 to 500 zoom lens.
I jus tcannot get close enough to the birds with this set up from the hides.
Using a 2x converter is rubbish in terms of quality.
I have seen some brilliant images of bird close ups using aspotting scope and digi scoping!
Can someone please advise me what kit to get (even used kit) within a budget of £500.00 and the best place to get it from.
Many thanks in advance and I hope I shall be able to find your replies on this site!!

Hi Alan,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I suggest you start by looking at some of the threads in our digiscoping sub-forum. If you can't see what you are looking for post a question there.

Tim, I have just answered a similar query to yours here...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=118811

with the caveat that you would be looking at a used scope for your £500, unless you went for a non-ed model. A camera for around £100-£150 should certailnly be possible, and for the scope how about this one?

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/kowa-ts-613-i1831.html

My friend traded in one of these recently at this very store, so I think this was probably his scope! and can vouch for it being in good condition & well looked after. Of course a larger scope might be better, but for your budget...

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back