• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL Bins 8 x 32/ 10x32 (1 Viewer)

kim

Hi
Because of increasing arthiritis in my hands I am going to have to buy light weight bins. I have narrowed my choice down to swaro 8 x32 or 10 x 32 and would appreciate any comments from owners who have experience of these. Am also encouraged to buy Swaro because of the good service comments which I regularly hear. At present I have Bausch and Lomb Elite (they are brilliant for close up and dragonfly spotting - but very heavy) but the service from Vickers was appalling.

Any advice on the Swaro bins would relaly be appreciated
Thanks
Kim

I think it would be worth looking at the Nikon HG 8x32 and 10x 32 if you haven't already done so. They're a bit heavier (about 719g from memory) but to my eyes brighter and sharper, at least on my one test at the Rutland Birdfair last summer. The short shape doesn't suit everyone though.

I'm v happy with my Swav 10x42s but thought the 8x32s were a disappointment (didn't try the 10x32s but personally think 10s need a bigger objective than 32mm)

Sean

I'm not in a disimilar position myself which is one of the reasons that I took the opportunity of getting a lighter more compact scope to carry around.

I already have the Leica 8x32's which I find are a nice size and weight. However as has been discussed in a number of other threads the choice of high end binos really is down to the preferred design of the user. The Swaro's obviously have excellent optics.

Last edited:
Another possibility would be the Nikon 8x32 SE porro, about the same weight, but a very different shape. Might or might not be more more comfortable for you. I agree with Sean about the optics of the Swarovski.

Hi
Thanks for the comments- I have read the previous comments on Swarovski and the lighter bins but couldn't find a comparison between 8 x 32 ond 10 x 32 which is what I am dithering about? I certainly did like the shape of the Swarovski. Haven't seen the Nikon.

Hi Kim

you've got to try them. Some bins just don't feel right. The Nikon HGs are very fine bins, I also like the Opticron DBAs which are x42 and lighter than the Nikon's

BUT you've got to pick 'em up and try them

kim said:
Hi
Thanks for the comments- I have read the previous comments on Swarovski and the lighter bins but couldn't find a comparison between 8 x 32 ond 10 x 32 which is what I am dithering about? I certainly did like the shape of the Swarovski. Haven't seen the Nikon.

Kim, can't comment on the 32mm Swarovskis per se. However, I would advise (like Dogfish) against the 10x if you really want to stick to the small objective size. 10x32 is fine for good light, but that's it. Even just the understory of a forest lets you realize there is not enough light coming through those binoculars.

kim said:
Hi
Because of increasing arthiritis in my hands I am going to have to buy light weight bins. I have narrowed my choice down to swaro 8 x32 or 10 x 32 and would appreciate any comments from owners who have experience of these. Am also encouraged to buy Swaro because of the good service comments which I regularly hear. At present I have Bausch and Lomb Elite (they are brilliant for close up and dragonfly spotting - but very heavy) but the service from Vickers was appalling.

Any advice on the Swaro bins would relaly be appreciated
Thanks
Kim

understand reasoning re hands - I have opted to Ultravid due to a thumb and index finger injury - Swaros I found a bother, and to be frank painful for my injured hand as it took sooooo long to focus [I'm sure someone knows how many turns from close to infinity...?] - the leicas are about 1.25 turns from closeup to infinity - the 1042BLs are alo very very light - 700g - the BRs about 719g. So for comfort in focusing I went Leica - service is also excellent - they do like to keep customers sweet. Optically both Leica and Swaros are very very good - usually comes down to snobbery on these forums - look at the length of all the posts and replies on high binos! (maybe these should be banned).

Certainly try a few binos to see how comfortable they are in focusing, handling etc... good luck

If you have the patience, the new Zeiss bins might follow their precedent of being exceptionally lightweight - and I have a feeling they're going to be class leaders.

A cheaper and possibly the sharpest and brightest alternative is the Nikon Superior Es - they are porroprisms but very lightweight, if I recall?

Kim ,I use the EL 10x42.They were bought for me when they first came out several years ago.I find them very comfortable to grip(yes,my hand joints,esp thumbs can be quite painful at times)and they are not too heavy to hold.I can manage with one hand ,if need be.I think the newer ones are smaller and lighter,but as Pete says,go to your local dealer and try the various models,on offer.

Kim i do think the swarovski 8x32s are over priced.Leica iam sure will bring out 8x32 ultravid soon and then the price of the Swarovski 8x32s will come down.I compared these with the 8x42 ultravids and got the ultravids because they felt more comfortable and they were only £25 more the the Swarovski's.

I would think a 7x / 8x maximum would be easier to hold than a 10x if you have any pain at all in your joints. A 7x would perhaps give a much wider field and more depth of focus, making it even easier to hold.

To add to the confusion there is supposed to be a Leica 8x32 Ultravid in the works which could be lightest of all. I agree with Steve about sticking to 7x-8x.

Thanks for all the advice - obviously I am going to have to try them - but it seems pretty obvious that I would be better with 8x32 rather than 10x32. I appreciate all the sound advice. My existing Bausch are excellent but oh so heavy - and at the end of a days birding - well I pay for it!!!
I also need to pay attention to the recommendations about good service - thanks for that also
Kim
Kim

I think the advice to try them is excellent.

Another alternative is the Leica 8x42 Ultravid BL ~700g at something like £900. Ouch.
Zeiss 8x40 Victory II ~700g. ~£720
Nikon 8x32 HG ~700g ~£520
Nikon 8x32 SE ~600g. ~£440.
Leica 8x32 Ultravids ~600g.

I think the cheapest - Nikon 8x32 SE - have the best optics, are as light as any, and I like the shape, though some people don't. The small focus wheel might not suit you: it can be gripped between thumb and finger.

The Swaro 8x32 EL seemed very expensive to me, given that the image is not as bright as might be expected given the price. Certainly noticeably less bright than the Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x32 HG. Beautifully made though, and otherwise excellent optics.

A shop in France was advertising the Leica 8x32 Ultravids as coming soon.

There's also the Zeiss 8x30 Conquest and the Pentax 8x32 SP which have good specs at less than half the price of the Swaros. I can't comment on the build and optics, though Steve Ingram at www.betterviewdesired.com rates them.

Thanks again - I hope to buy a pair next month - so I shall be trying them -if its a close call - then it will come down to weight. Do appreciate all the help. Kim

Incidentally - the price does vary enormously - by looking at the sites on the internet - Ace Optics and Warehouse Express. I perhaps will be better waiting till the Bird Fair - to try them all out.
Kim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back