• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bags & Bags of Bags (1 Viewer)

RyanEustace

Ecology Student
Im looking to get a new camera bag im currently using a lowepro nova 2 , but i quite like the idea of a back pack .

The lowepro mini trekker looks promising , as it has got to able to carry a canon 400 f5.6 lens as well as a canon 50d.

Any experiences with backpacks you have used or even what you would get if you had the chance would be greatly appreciated.:t:

I havn't carryed anything like a 400mm f5.6 but I have loaded up my minitrekker with a load of gear. The bag is certainly very well made and can take a lot of weight and its great for an average walk over reasonably steady terrain. However I am fast finding that with a heavier load and over more rugged terrain its starts to really weigh one down. Though it has shoulder and hip straps they are not that heavily padded so they can dig in a bit (waist straps most of all) and the main back is not that heavily padded either - though decent enough.
I've been looking at alternatives as well to this and the larger backpack designes are looking a bit more promising - more expensive - but they appear to have more padding in general and the waist straps are also padded out - which is important if you want them tight enough to take some of the weight.

The Lowepro Mini Trekker takes a 400/5.6 attached to the camera no problem. It also takes the combo with a 1.4tc attached - an ideal backpack for the 400/5.6 IMO (I used one with my 400/5.6 for three years).

so what do you use now?
I no longer have the 400/5.6 Ryan but still have the mini trekker.
I am contemplating a new bag because the 300/2.8 with camera and tc attached is quite a tight fit, I would ideally like a bag that would accommodate the 300 with the hood in the shooting position but it would have to be quite a bit bigger than the mini trekker and that means heavier as well :C

Have a look at the Tamrac Velocity 10X. Comfortable to wear as a sling bag, holds my Canon 40d with the 400 f5.6 attached. Still has plenty of space thereafter. Think I paid under £55 with p&p from Somerset Cameras

Regards

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back