• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rockfowl's Eclectic Mix / Travels with Mark Andrews (1 Viewer)

do you make a latex mould? and what about the fumes thing with your current health status...please be careful

Yes, I'm going to make a two part latex mould, and wear a mask!

My health is better, simply put, I have a high allergy problem apparently and my white blood cells have decided that I'm the enemy and have tried to shut my lungs/body down several times in a big way. It's been interesting :eek!: especially as until it got serious, everyone thought it was just asthma. Strangely enough, I was at 15,000feet only a few months ago, no problems - Here, almost sea level, I couldn't walk down the stairs a few weeks ago :-O

Thanks for everyones concerns, I'm on the mend I think, well managing the situation anyway!

Last edited:
may have to order some Western Sandpiper or Dunlin legs..

Oh no, don't go there :smoke: The trouble I had getting these from Texas, I've got more than two pairs :eek!: ;)

I'll beef them up when it comes to the finished article if they don't quite look right....or I'll have to make a load of accompanying Red-necked Stints!

Last edited:
Love the petrel slick - nice title too - the strength of colour is amazng and could so easily have gone garish and just plain wrong, but this adds so much to the piece, especially as the birds are fairly dull in colour.
Looking forward to your casting process very much. I looked into having moulds made and had a few quotes back of several hundred pounds for a single re-usable mould - therefore I would love to follow your process.
Top job, Mark and you know what advice Nemo would give; 'Just keep breathing!'

Still breathing ;)

As several maestros on here are currently showing some recent illustration work and as my thread will bounce around a lot. Here are some illustrations for a book I've been working on way too long and really should crack on with.
Not birds but does it really matter ;)

Attachments

• zebra.jpg
    zebra.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 69
  • topi.jpg
    topi.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 96
  • giraffe.jpg
    giraffe.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Splendido!! - Don't apologise for posting non-birdy subjects Mark (if you ever glance back through my thread there's old Yorkshire washer-women, marine and freshwater creatures and archaeolgical stuff (I think). These are great (shame they aren't a tad larger so we could appreciate them even more).

Here's a pic for you - sorry . . . .

Attachments

• giraffe.jpg
    giraffe.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Tim, I must search out that washer-women!

Nice pic of the gentle giant! Coming soon, more mammal stuff including work from a very special journey I made recently with Szabi Kokay to search for a mystical cat!

Splendido!! - Don't apologise for posting non-birdy subjects Mark (if you ever glance back through my thread there's old Yorkshire washer-women, marine and freshwater creatures and archaeolgical stuff (I think). These are great (shame they aren't a tad larger so we could appreciate them even more).

Tim says it well as usual. I'm really most interested in birds but then I see something like these and find that I they're a welcome surprise and that I really enjoy seeing them. I'd bet I'd enjoy them even more if I'd ever seen any of the subjects, outside of in a zoo maybe 40 years ago. Either way though they're a treat to see and I'm sure would be much moreso at a larger scale.

What a wonderful and inspiring thread. Currently up to my ears in assignments so that I can qualify as a teacher of the deaf. Consequently, I have banned myself from painting until the last assignment is in. Having seen your work makes me eager to start again, even if I know I can never achieve anything like as good as yours.

Having not attended for many years, I have really enjoyed Birdfare over the past two years. I will be sad to miss it this year (especially if your spooners will be on display) but hopefully I will be watching spooners of my own in China.

Keep the posts coming, Mark. Hope your health continues to improve.

Ken

Great illustrations Mark - never tried mammals! Which and when's it coming out? As for working on it too long.....beaten 7yrs yet??

mammals are really amazing, each has character, and it boggles my mind how you can make a whole page that works so well.

Great illustrations Mark - never tried mammals! Which and when's it coming out? As for working on it too long.....beaten 7yrs yet??

Yep :eek!: Way too slow!! If I mention it, bloody google will pick it up and then I'll be in trouble again, so I won't but it's the whole continent and as I'm writing it also.... it moves rather very slowly :smoke:

You should try mammals Ad's, you're into them!

I love your shorebirds! Sculptures look like they are coming along beautifully!

Thanks Suvi

mammals are really amazing, each has character, and it boggles my mind how you can make a whole page that works so well.

Well they certainly have character when you watch them, lots of fiddling around with layout to make it as attractive and workable as possible, but thankyou!

Off to China so I'll catch up with you all soon.

Last edited:
Another thread to marvel at! Top notch work, all of it. I'll look forward to keeping up to date with this.

Mike

Super loooking mammals- as with the bird plates, no cookie cutter shapes at all-each subtly different from the next. If/when there's a page with Roan Antelope on, I'd happily kick off the bidding for the original: but maybe it is bad form to be selling off the plates before the book is done..

Hi Mark,

Good Paintings of Ibisbills. May I put it on my T-shirt?

Xiao Ming

PS Birdwatch is a good magaz.

Surgery completed, bit touch and go for a while, very tough stuff and I wasn't sure where I'd put the pebble (see below ) but back together and awaiting a bit of 'hardening off' Looks better, you're right...watch this space for the ammended version :smoke:

No armature Colleen but I did build the body around a beach pebble, like you do, because it was about the right size for the head - strange process I know!

As I've been photographing some work (badly I might add) another favourite wader of mine, and should be seeing these next week with Russ B.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back