• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G12 For Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

lozninja

I Brought a Nikon P7000 As A Handeld To Pair Up With My Nikon D300 And Lenses . But Unfortunatly It Didnt Perform As Well As I Had Hoped And Then Finally Broke On Me . !!

So I Took It Back To The Shop & They Said Why Did I Not Try The Canon G12 Instead . So I Did . Thinking About It After I Dont Know Why I Went for The Canon , Ive Never Had one Only Briefly Used One So I dont Really Know If Its Any Good Yet .

Anyway the Question Is I Have A Nikon 65 ed Spotting Scope With A zoom Eyepiece . And I Didnt Know If Anybody Had Tried The canon G12 With A Nikon Spotting Scope ???????

The Spotting Scope Is Straight Scope With Zoom Eyepiece .

Also If They Have AAny Success With The G12 Maybe I Could Ask What Bracket To Use .

Any Help

Many Thanks

lozninja

The G series cameras have always been difficult to digiscope with due to their lens design( the lens retracts a lot when zoomed). You need an eyepiece with more than 20 mm of Eye Relief eg Kowa 25x LER. The Nikon P7000 has a similar issue though so you are no worse off there.
For your Nikon scope look for a little digicam with as close to a 35-105 mm (3x) zoom lens as possible.
The G12 is a great camera though.
Neil

Thanks For Your Reply .

I Purchased The Nikon 60 Fieldscope ED With A Fixed 20x Mag Eyepiece Which I Still Have , I Only Purchased The Newer Zoom EyePiece More Recently As I Like To Get That Bit Closer .

I Think The Newer Zoom Is A 25-75 MC II But I Could Be Wrong .

So Would The Fixed 20 Be Better Then ?

Many Thanks

lozninja

Last edited:
I Purchased The Nikon 60 Fieldscope ED With A Fixed 20x Mag Eyepiece Which I Still Have , I Only Purchased The Newer Zoom EyePiece More Recently As I Like To Get That Bit Closer .

I Think The Newer Zoom Is A 25-75 MC II But I Could Be Wrong .

So Would The Fixed 20 Be Better Then ?

Many Thanks

lozninja

If it's the 20x long eye relief eyepiece (31.8 mm) then you're in with a chance just set the scope up next to a table and slide the camera up to the eyepiece and see how it looks as you zoom the camera lens while moving camera closer ( until almost touhing).
Let us know how it looks.
Neil

Yes Ill Have To Try The 20x

Earlier This Morning I Tried The zoom Mc2 And You Just Cant get Close Enough To The Eyepiece . If That Makes Sense .

Or should I Say The Lens Need To Be Closer To The Eyepiece . It Was Touching and only just managed to get rid of the dark ring . The picture quality at this point was too bad , but lts not good too use as its putting pressure and strain on the lens .

i need to get the camera lens just a tad closer.:smoke:

So ill Digg Out the 20x fixed And Try That .

Ill Get Back To You

lozninja

My G11 experiences have been a disaster!

Though I am new to this but I thought I had it sussed when I made a really neat attachment using a combination of Nikon fieldscope and Canon lens adapters but when I attached the camera all I got was a black screen with a 1p sized image.

I tried all zoom positions ahd 38x and 75x eyepieces. The longest zoom position is best but still completely unuseable.

As Neil pointed out the lens retracts a lot when zoomed: I know it looks like it extends but if you look inside you can see the optics moving back.

I love my G11 and would love to have used it for digiscoping but I think we are going to be using something else...

Malc

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back