• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing Blue Butterflies (1 Viewer)

stevejelf

France
Hi
After struggling up and down hillsides at 1500/2000 feet in rough scrub 32 degrees I was initially disappointed with Photographs of Green Washed Blues, Green Hairstreaks and Adonis Blues but Marsh Fritillaries no problem

I managed in the end to get to grips with refractive scales of the Blues by photographing them with the Sun behind my back it appears the glare from their scales certainly affects auto exposure and some effect auto Focus The Fritillaries being pigmented did not suffer the same problem

I am not certain if the same effects are suffered by others I am normally within 5cm of the subject
Steve

I haven't had this problem recently, but sunlight does make photographing certain colours more difficult. If I'm in doubt I take multiple pictures at different exposures.

Painted Ladies' underwings can't be photographed with flash so far as I can tell, presumably for the same reason as Blues' upperwings. The way the patterns reproduce in the camera is bizarre.

John

Butterflies make wonderful subjects,but they are also one of the most difficult as they are often very active and usually fly off just as you are coming into range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back