• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Resizing photos in Canon DPP4? (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John (a bad birdwatcher)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've started posting shots in the BF Gallery, and find resizing them in accordance with the Guidelines tricky. Typically the jpeg output file from Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 is of the order of 10mb. At the moment I'm reducing them with the venerable Windows Power Tools resizer, but ending up with small files of less than 200kb, which look more or less OK, but obviously I'd like to get the best possible image quality. People are posting photos which fit the dimensions requirements but are much larger files and so will contain more information. I admit to being pretty confused about file sizes and resolution.

So I wondered if there's a way of resizing images within DPP4, but can't see such an option. Can anyone help? (I don't have Photoshop or Lightroom, and would prefer to stay with DPP if possible).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hi John,

As far as I know there's not a straight-forward "resize" option from the main- or edit-window menu bars but if you select your photo(s) and hit the "File" menu you'll see "Batch process...". This does have a resize option. You might also want to see what the "Output resolution" is set to. I have mine set on maximum (60,000dpi) but of course this is unnecessarily high for posting to a website.

You can change the output resolution value in this box but you can also set it to a default value of your preference in Tools | Preferences...

Hope this helps :)

Hi John,

As far as I know there's not a straight-forward "resize" option from the main- or edit-window menu bars but if you select your photo(s) and hit the "File" menu you'll see "Batch process...". This does have a resize option. You might also want to see what the "Output resolution" is set to. I have mine set on maximum (60,000dpi) but of course this is unnecessarily high for posting to a website.

You can change the output resolution value in this box but you can also set it to a default value of your preference in Tools | Preferences...

Hope this helps :)
It certainly does help, Mike. Actually I did wonder briefly about "Batch process" but hadn't explored it properly, will do so now. And I just just looked at output resolution in Tools/Preferences, and it's all there - by the look of it, just what I need. Doh, how could I have missed that? Thanks a million, and all the best.

No worries. I was new to DPP fairly recently too - my "learning" technique is to dive in, start clicking boxes and pulling sliders from side to side just to see what happens. I'm still finding new ways to screw up photographs :)

Cheers Mike, and thanks again for your help. I hope you enjoy birding - I've found it very rewarding over the last 30 years. And BF is a massive resource to draw on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back