• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Odd that they don't mention the Wilson's Snipes being seen - presumably not gettable?

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/2017/10/11/the-rock/

With their dips, they would have been better off in Britain & Ireland so far though only Wilson's Phalarope available for them currently (and a probable Wilson's Snipe and expensive White-crowned Sparrow) and other birds cleared out?

All the best

There is an update for yesterday including a record of 'Common Snipe'. Is Wilson's split in the taxonomy they are using?

Heavy rain today and tomorrow for the Azores as Hurricane Ophelia moves through. Interestingly, a quick moving low pressure system looks set to hit the Azores straight from Newfoundland on Monday, so the sightings could pick up then.

News from Corvo tonight is fresh Nearctic arrivals found in last hour of daylight per Chris Bell twitter - Blackpoll, RN Duck & 2 WR Sands - so optimism for tomorrow.

All the best

They got the Blackpoll Warbler, so at 721 now.
The only remaining category 4 species that have still not been reported this year are now Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrush. They also still need Azores Bullfinch, it would be funny if they somehow forgot about it and had to return for this one :D

I think it's safe to assume already that they'll hit 750.

They got the Blackpoll Warbler, so at 721 now.
The only remaining category 4 species that have still not been reported this year are now Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrush. They also still need Azores Bullfinch, it would be funny if they somehow forgot about it and had to return for this one :D

I think it's safe to assume already that they'll hit 750.

Swainson's Thrush now down with an individual in Ireland, so only Gray-cheeked Thrush missing.

It must have been an awesome day on Corvo today with Upland Sandpiper, 5 Red-eyed Vireos, 2 Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Northern Waterthrush and Common Yellowthrush. I wonder how many of these they managed to get! Only the Sandpiper, the Yellowthroat and the Green Warbler would be new though, but I guess these aren't as skulky as Ovenbird or Waterthrush, are they?

On Facebook just now

Ouch! Corvo birding is hard sometimes.

Today on Corvo.
Black Throated Green Warbler (Seen by two)
Upland Sandpiper (Seen by one)
Yellow-Billed Cuckoo (Seen by one group of ap. 4)
Scarlet Tanager (Seen by one)
Common Yellowthroat (Seen only by a few)

We saw none...

Also a possible Vesper Sparrow sighting...

On one of the quieter days last week (Wednesday) the Corvo blog mentioned the Big Year WP and posted a drone video of birders at the Caldera:
https://birdingcorvo2013.blogspot.de/2017/10/an-even-quieter-day-on-rock.html?m=1

Reminded me immediately at the so called "Mittelland" on our famous German rarity island Heligoland! But although the structure is similar, everything else (vegetation, landscape and loneliness!) is very different! Must be a great pleasure to look for American passerines in this fascinating scenery. Especially as these species reach Heligoland just very scarce...

Swainson'

It must have been an awesome day on Corvo today with Upland Sandpiper, 5 Red-eyed Vireos, 2 Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Northern Waterthrush and Common Yellowthrush. I wonder how many of these they managed to get! Only the Sandpiper, the Yellowthroat and the Green Warbler would be new though, but I guess these aren't as skulky as Ovenbird or Waterthrush, are they?

New post says they got none!

I realized the guys hadn't twitched the Warbler as of this post, not sure their situation now. But if they haven't, will they go for the Yellow-throated Vireo instead, now?

Bomb day on Corvo today.

The Blackburnian has been gettable for at least two hours per twitter. Properly jealous.

All the best

They've confirmed on Facebook that they've got the Blackburnian. I wonder what else?

(If only the St Kilda bird hadn't been suppressed in 2009.........)

All the best

Finally some luck! They added the Yellowthroat and the Vireo besides the Blackburnian.

There were also two Dotterel on the Rock two days ago, so they would have gotten that one, if they had missed it in the Netherlands.

Paul

Are you saying that Will Miles "suppressed" the St Kilda bird - ie deliberately withheld the news so nobody else could see it? Or is it a throwaway cheap internet comment?

B

Brian

Mine was certainly not a cheap Internet comment. I am unsure about yours..... The mentioning of the observer and your pejorative phrasing certainly suggest so.

It was recorded at the time that National Trust for Scotland directed that news be suppressed. Entirely their decision but suppressed it certainly was.

From the thread at the time:-

Not sure what the birding politics comment was about - finders told the local Recorder but told him the owners and their employers the National Trust for Scotland did not want it released wider, further discussions by the finders with NTS allowed news to be broadcast via the Recorder yesterday.

Cheers,
Andrew

Was Andrew incorrect?

I hope that there will be another three day Blackburnian at some point and that news will be released in time for me to see it. But again that will be a decision for those people at the time.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back