• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many species of owl have you seen (2 Viewers)

Barn Owl
Snowy Owl
Barred Owl
Great Horned Owl
Eastern Screech-Owl
Long-eared Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Burrowing Owl
Boreal Owl
Northern Hawk-Owl
Great Grey Owl

11 in total so far....I have not seen a new owl since 2000 :-(

Larry

interested to see that four of yours were on your visit to Kenya

My four are all in Kenya

1 Sokoke scops owl
2 Verraux's eagle owl both at Aruboka -sokoke forest
3 African wood owl at Wajee near Mt Kenya
4 Spotted Eagle owl at Baringo . [I understand that this is to be renamed ]

Who did you bird with here ?

Mike D in Nairobi

Larry Lade said:
This morning I heard a Barred Owl calling just outside our home. My wife and I went outside to see if we could locate it, but it was just too dark to be able to find it.

It got me to thinking, just how many species of owl I have seen.

Here is my list: Nine species in my home state of Missouri (MO)

Barn Owl, Maysville, MO,USA 07/20/1993
African Scops-Owl, Maasai Mara, Kenya 02/23/2004
White-faced Scops-Owl, Bogoria, Kenya 02/17/2004
Eastern Screech-Owl, St Joseph, MO,USA 04/21/1988
Great Horned Owl, St Joseph, MO[/colo
Verreaux's Eagle-Owl, Baringo, Kenya 02/16/2004
Snowy Owl, Winston, MO,USA 12/17/1996
Barred Owl, Excelsior Springs, MO,USA 05/30/1991
Great Gray Owl, International Falls MN,USA 06/27/1989
Black-and-white Owl, Rancho Humo, Costa Rica 04/28/1999
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, Dundee Ranch, Costa Rica 04/25/1999
Elf Owl, Portal, AZ,USA 05/24/1995
Burrowing Owl, Mound City, MO,USA 04/29/2005
Northern Saw-whet Owl, Maryville, MO,USA 01/29/1999
Long-eared Owl, Savannah, MO,USA 01/24/1993
Short-eared Owl, Plattsburg, MO,USA 01/22/1997
Northern Hawk Owl, Duluth, MN,USA 01/28/2005

mike davidson said:
Larry

interested to see that four of yours were on your visit to Kenya

My four are all in Kenya

1 Sokoke scops owl
2 Verraux's eagle owl both at Aruboka -sokoke forest
3 African wood owl at Wajee near Mt Kenya
4 Spotted Eagle owl at Baringo . [I understand that this is to be renamed ]

Who did you bird with here ?

Mike D in Nairobi
Mike, we went on a birding trip to Kenya in 2004 with an Elderhostel group. We had a great time and saw a lot of birds. *Actually, I only have three owls seen in Kenya, African Scops-Owl, White-faced Scops-Owl and Verreaux's Eagle-Owl. *I wish it would have been four (or more)!

I have a pair of Eastern Screech Owls that visit my backyard a couple times a week.

Eastern Screech Owl-Otus asio
Great Horned Owl-Bubo virginianus
Short-eared Owl-Asio flammeus
Saw-whet Owl-Aegolius acadicus

Not a very large list. I hope to see a Snowy Owl this winter.

Mike

I would love to see more owls. I have a burrowing owl from the Great Salt Plains NWR in western Oklahoma, a barred owl in my local patch and a screech owl from a campout in southern Oklahoma. I can't find even the Great Horned Owl that sits on my friend's neighbors house top this year.

Hi Sebbe,

Wow thats a great Owls list, sorry you didn't make it to the big sixty yet, the Philippines would be a good bet - try to see some of the 'sub-species' of the Ninox philippensis and Otus megalotis groups - some sure fire splits there I reckon....could increase the Number of endemic Owls to around 14 species so certainly a must for anyone with an 'owl-fetish'. I'm still missing a few, notably Philippine Eagle Owl, and a couple of the potential splits mentioned above - fingers crossed for next year!

Hope you score with that Chocolate Boobook on Talaud...

Rob

sebbe67 said:
Owls are my absolute favorite bird group, as soon as Iam birding I try to record as many species as possibly:

1.Greater sooty-owl Tyto tenebricosa: Australia.
2.Australian masked owl Tyto novaehollandiae: Australia.
3.Common barn owl Tyto alba alba: Sweden.
4.Tyto albo stertens: India.
5.Tyto albo javanica: Malaysia peninsula.
6. Tyto albo delicatula: Australia.
7.African grass-owl Tyto capensis: South Africa and Tanzania.
8.Eastern grass-owl Tyto longimembris: India.
9.Oriental bay-owl Phodilus badius: Malaysia peninsula.
10.White-faced scops-owl Otus sagittatus: Malaysia peninsula.
11.Reddish scops-owl Otus rufescens: Malaysia peninsula.
12.Mountain scops-owl Otus spilocephalus: India and Malaysia peninsula.
13.Rajah scops-owl Otus brookii: Sumatra.
14.Collared scops-owl Otus lettia: India.
15.Sunda scops-owl Otus lempiji: Malaysia peninsula.
16.African scops-owl Otus senegalensis: Tanzania.
17.Eurasian scops-owl Otus scops: Spain.
18.Oriental scops-owl Otus sunia: India.
19.Sangihe scops-owl Otus collari: Sangihe.
20.Tropical screech-owl Otus choliba: Brazil.
21.Tawny-bellied screech-owl Otus watsonii: Brazil.
22.Southern white-faced owl Ptilopsis granti: Tanzania.
23.Eurasian eagle-owl Bubo bubo: Sweden and Spain.
24.Rock eagle-owl Bubo bengalensis: India.
25.Spotted eagle-owl Bubo africanus: Tanzania.
26. Forest eagle-owl Bubo nipalensis: India.
27.Barred eagle-owl Bubo Sumatranus: Malaysia, Borneo.
28.Verreaux eagle-owl Bubo lacteus: Tanzania.
29.Dusky eagle-owl Bubo coromandus: India.
30.Brown fish-owl Ketupa zeylonensis: India.
31.Tawny fish-owl Ketupa flavipes: India.
32.Buffy fish-owl Ketupa ketupa: Malaysia peninsula.
33.Snowy owl Nyctea scandiaca: Sweden.
34.Spotted wood-owl Strix seloputo: Malaysia peninsula.
35. Brown wood-owl Strix leptogrammica: India, Malaysia peninsula and Sumatra.
36.Tawny owl Strix aluco: Sweden and India.
37.Ural owl Strix uralensis: Sweden.
38.Great grey owl Strix nebulosa: Sweden.
39.African wood-owl Strix woodfordii: South Africa.
40.Mottled owl Strix virgata: Brazil.
41. Black-banded owl Strix huhula: Brazil.
42.Crested owl Lophostrix cristata: Brazil.
43.Spectacled owl Pulsatrix perspicillata: Brazil.
44.Northern hawk-owl Surnia ulula: Sweden.
45.Eurasian pygmy-owl Glaucidium passerinum: Sweden.
46.Collared owlet Glaucidium brodiei: India.
47.Pearl-spotted owl Glaucidium perlatum: Tanzania.
48.Amazonian pygmy-owl Glaucidium hardyi: Brazil.
49.Ferruginous pygmy-owl Glaucidium brasilianum: Brazil.
50.Asian barred owlet Glaucidium cuculoides: India.
51.Little owl Athene noctua: Spain.
52.Spotted owlet Athene brama: India.
53.Boreal owl Aegolius funereus: Sweden.
54.Barking owl Ninox connivens: Australia.
55.Southern boobook Ninox boobook: Australia.
56.Brown hawk-owl Ninox scutulata: Sangihe.
57.Northern long-eared owl Asio otus: Sweden.
58.Short-eared owl Asio flammeus: Spain.
59.Marsh owl Asio capensis: Tanzania and South Africa.

These are the species I have observed the last 20 years, I hopping to make reach 60 on my trip on Sangihe, I hopping to see the Sulawesi owl Tyto rosenbergii here. Will probably visit the Philippine islands, Mexico and Venezuela next year to try to check of a few more species.

I´ve managed to push my list to over 50 now, after spending a couple of weeks in the neotropics I added

46 Ferruginous Pygmy Owl
47 Black & White Owl
48 Pacific Screech Owl
49 Mottled Owl
50 Costa Rican Pygmy Owl
51 Vermiculated Screech Owl
52 Crested Owl
53 Cloud Forest Pygmy Owl
54 Colombian Screech Owl

Frustratingly only heard Spectacled Owl in Costa Rica and Rufous-banded Owl in Ecuador, both just too distant to be able to look for
ps - I missed Pels Fish Owl from my previous post.

a fair few but not as many as i should as i hate night birding, most conicide with sitting in the forest with a beer

have got Spectacled though James....

but not O. alfredi....!

Tim

It´s about time you got yourself back over to Indo Tim, otus alfredi should be a good enough incentive.
That Spectacled was really frustrating, thought it was close by until I went through a whole forest and came out the otherside, realising it was in the next forest patch past a farm and three 10 metre high fences! Looks a good one in the books too.

These postings are quite gripping, some good owls have been seen by a few!

Out feeding the horses yesterday evening as the light was fading, I heard the hooting of an owl. Listening carefully you could clearly hear "Who's awake, Me too!" of the Great Horned Owl.

In the still of the frozen night (below 20 is really cold for us) with the light fading, everything gets really quiet and I think many times that this is the owls domain -- their perfect evening.

I added a new owl to my self-found list two weeks ago - Peruvian Pygmy Owl. Actually I didn't find it, a Vermillion Flycatcher found it first and was telling everyone about it.

Three, all in New York's Central Park: a long eared, a saw whet and a boreal. I know that that is not a lot, but the location should surprise. There is a screech owl about the Park, but I have not found it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur, a lot of people would like to have the owls on your list!

I have seventeen owl species on my life list and have seen the Long-eared and Northern Saw-whet Owls, but I have yet to see the Boreal Owl although I have tried.

Here in Missouri most birders have heard/seen the Great Horned, Eastern Screech and Barred Owls, but would love to see the ones on your list.

Rob Hutchinson said:
Hi Sebbe,

Wow thats a great Owls list, sorry you didn't make it to the big sixty yet, the Philippines would be a good bet - try to see some of the 'sub-species' of the Ninox philippensis and Otus megalotis groups - some sure fire splits there I reckon....could increase the Number of endemic Owls to around 14 species so certainly a must for anyone with an 'owl-fetish'. I'm still missing a few, notably Philippine Eagle Owl, and a couple of the potential splits mentioned above - fingers crossed for next year!

Hope you score with that Chocolate Boobook on Talaud...

Rob

Hi Rob,

I manage to make it to 61 in my latest trip, on our way back we flew from North Sulawesi to Sandakan, I manage to see the Sulawesi scops-owl in a tree close to the airport.

so a few adds to my list

60. Sulawesi owl Tyto rosenbergii
61. Sulawesi scops-owl Otus manadensis

I really wants to visit the Philippines but I guess that has to be a "thing" for 2007 as Iam already are fully bocked with trips for 2006, going to South America soon, hopefully a few owl species added then.

sebbe67 said:
Hi Rob,

I manage to make it to 61 in my latest trip, on our way back we flew from North Sulawesi to Sandakan, I manage to see the Sulawesi scops-owl in a tree close to the airport.

so a few adds to my list

60. Sulawesi owl Tyto rosenbergii
61. Sulawesi scops-owl Otus manadensis

I really wants to visit the Philippines but I guess that has to be a "thing" for 2007 as Iam already are fully bocked with trips for 2006, going to South America soon, hopefully a few owl species added then.

Nice one Sebbe!

Sure you'll get some more great owls on your South America trip, make sure you keep us informed! (gripped?)

Myself and/or James will certainly be out in the Philippines early in 2007, keep in touch and we'll try and get some good sites for the Owls out there - plenty to look for!

Rob

Wow! there are some really lucky people. Mind you as i never leave the Uk i can only account for the Tawny, Barn, Short, Long and Little.

Still, see the Little on regular basis, waiting to get good photo of it.

Barn is my favourite, and a week in Linclolnshire where I sawa na watched the birds for a couplen of hours each day was sublime! Still makes me feel good.

regards

Trevor

Great Horned Owl makes four

I can update my previous post, as I saw a great horned owl, today, in Central Park. That one brings me to four kinds of owl. However, I still have not seen that screech owl.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :D

Pinewood said:
I can update my previous post, as I saw a great horned owl, today, in Central Park. That one brings me to four kinds of owl. However, I still have not seen that screech owl.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :D

Good news on your great horned owl. I heard a couple myself on the Christmas bird count yesterday morning.

I now also have a lead on a screech owl, a bird which has alluded me all these years. Not that I was specifically pursuing them before, but I will be now. Hopefully it won't disappear before I get a chance to visit the spot next weekend.

Scott

Iam now on my second visit to South America, we have travelled from Curitiba (Brazil, arrived 28 december) and we are currently staying in Corumba (Brazil), and tomorrow we will continue our birding and will also enter Bolivia for the first time, we will mostly be in the Southeastern parts of that country and will probably spend 2-3 days there. We have travelled through three Brazilian regions so far.

Of cource a few new owls added already

62.Variable Screech-owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

63.Long-tufted Screech-owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

64.Tawny-browed owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

65.Least Pygmy-owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

66.Buff-fronted Owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

67.Buff-fronted Owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

68.Stygian Owl (Santa Catarina, Brazil)

69.Burrowing owl (both in Santa Catarina and Mato Grosso, Brazil)

70.Stiped owl (Mato Grosso, Brazil)

71.Great Horned Owl (Mato Grosso, Brazil)

Many birds seen in Parana, but no owls.

I wish that we had time to travel further south for that Austral pygmy, we travel further north each day and the chance of seeing one is since long gone. But a trip to Southern South America is in order, maybe in a few years?

A few "old" ones were also recorded, we was suprised of the Owl diveristy in Santa Catarina, really amazing, 8 new species in just a few days, but the Striped Owl in Mato Grosso is still the owl highlight so far.

I have got taste for South America again B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back