• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (51 Viewers)

Today’s highlights

Will this wind ever drop again!!!

Paul

If only.
At Strumpshaw I managed to see one reed warbler.
Swifts and house martins over the reserve too.

Bar-tailed godwit a gimme at Titchwell. Hoped to find some of the influx birds at Strumpshaw and Buckenham but failed. Need "barwit" for the Mid Yare valley!

If only.
At Strumpshaw I managed to see one reed warbler.
Swifts and house martins over the reserve too.

Bar-tailed godwit a gimme at Titchwell. Hoped to find some of the influx birds at Strumpshaw and Buckenham but failed. Need "barwit" for the Mid Yare valley!

There were 20+ Barwits at Cantley this morning Paul, should have gone that little bit further- always the way! Also at Buckenham/Cantley today was the Ruddy Shelduck hanging around with 2 Egyptian geese and a nice summer plumaged Grey plover, both valley ticks for me.

Had to go to Potter this evening so nipped down the Weavers Way and spent 20 minutes looking over Rush Hill. 3 Wood Sandpipers were still present along with 3 Common Sandpipers. 4 Grey Plovers were still in winter dress, 2 Greenshank, 5 Avocet and a Ruff weren't (!). And still the wind blew...

James

Lovely Wryneck today at Cley!

Full update and picture on blog tomorrow.

Seriously bored and fed up with these strong north easterlies, so much so that tomorrow I am staying in!

Penny:girl:

You mean tomorrow (well today now) when the wind is going more easterly and dropping... The next few days is when we should be out... Finding the stuff thats been hunkered down and picking up the new arrivals which will have been waiting till the wind dropped b4 carrying on their migration

Any Norwich folks around on Thursday who fancy doing some local birding? If so please PM me. :) OH has to stay in to wait for new virgin box and broadband to be installed so it'd be nice to get out and about.

You mean tomorrow (well today now) when the wind is going more easterly and dropping... The next few days is when we should be out... Finding the stuff thats been hunkered down and picking up the new arrivals which will have been waiting till the wind dropped b4 carrying on their migration

Hi Dave

Well, just to explain more, I have to stay in today anyway to edit/sort photos (deadline). The wind has not dropped that much today and of course I would rather be out, but only have tomorrow (Wednesday) left and I think tomorrow will be better overall than today - ESE. I am back at work on Thursday of course when winds are turning south easterly!!! and stay that way. Saturday continues with SE and 'a couple of showers' - perfect for Blakeney Point!!! http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/for...ather&traveler=0&postalcode=PE36 6AA&metric=1

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Mid Yare waders and other goodies

There were 20+ Barwits at Cantley this morning Paul, should have gone that little bit further- always the way! Also at Buckenham/Cantley today was the Ruddy Shelduck hanging around with 2 Egyptian geese and a nice summer plumaged Grey plover, both valley ticks for me.

Perhaps I should have Ben. Grey plover and bar-wit both needed.

I have been birding in the Yare Valley far longer than I have been twitching rare birds. Honed my ID skills on waders seen here.

Have given it some thought and the easiest split for listing is
(a) birds within a reasonable walking distance of RSPB Strumpshaw car park (b) everywhere else

148 for Strumpshaw and Buckenham (only) and
159 for the whole area from Surllingham to Cantley on both sides of the river.

Buckenham wader list
1 Oystercatcher
2 Avocet
3 Little Ringed Plover
4 Ringed Plover
5 Pacific Golden Plover 05/07/1998 Buckenham
6 Golden Plover
7 Lapwing
8 Knot 16/05/2008 Buckenham
9 Little Stint 10/10/2010 Buckenham
10 Temminck's Stint 13/05/2002 Buckenham
11 Baird's Sandpiper 22/09/2004 Buckenham
12 Curlew Sandpiper 15/09/2001 Buckenham
13 Dunlin
14 Ruff
15 Common Snipe
16 Woodcock
17 Black-tailed Godwit
18 Curlew
19 Common Sandpiper
20 Green Sandpiper
21 Greenshank
23 Wood Sandpiper 06/05/2007 Buckenham
24 Redshank

Mid Yare Valley additions
1 Lesser White-fronted Goose Cantley 2010
2 Lesser Canada Goose Cantley 2003/04 winter
3 Ruddy Duck Surlingham Church Marsh (sorry shooters 1995!)
4 Red necked grebe Rockland Broad 2011
5 Lesser yellowlegs Cantley BF twice 2001 and 2002
6 Jack Snipe Cantley Marshes 2010
7 Whiskered Tern Rockland two records 1994 and 1999
8 White winged black tern Cantley BF 2002
9 Turtle dove Cantley BF 2006
10 Liittle Owl Surlingham Church Marsh 1980's (tick)
11 Ring Ouzel Strumpshaw village 2010 (Thanks to Birding Dad!)

Wow!

Not bad for a small garden in Blofield Heath!
These take our garden list to 107!

Attachments

• Redstart5.jpg
    Redstart5.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Redstart FEMALE 5.jpg
    Redstart FEMALE 5.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 244
250 of these beauties in fields behind Salthouse duck pond today.

John

ps the report today on the pagers of 2 Hoopoes sth of Salthouse, referred to a sighting from a non birder 3 weeks ago. But sounds genuine.

Attachments

• b owl (1 of 1).jpg
    b owl (1 of 1).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 184
A few photos from recently

More pictures on blog.

From left: Sedge Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Grey Partridge, Song Thrush (taken this morning) and Greylag Goose cute Chick!

Attachments

• IMG_6828-web.jpg
    IMG_6828-web.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7429-web.jpg
    IMG_7429-web.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7843-web.jpg
    IMG_7843-web.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9005-web.jpg
    IMG_9005-web.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7959-web.jpg
    IMG_7959-web.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 67
Funny Harrier at Strumpshaw

Well: had me fooled! Ben and Mark say this bird has caused a lot of confusion recently!
Swallowtail showing down to 30cm at the reserve centre at midday! Super!
David

Attachments

• Harrier Strump.jpg
    Harrier Strump.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 209
  • ST 3.jpg
    ST 3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 80
North East Norfolk 3/5/11

Walking along the back road between Wiveton Bridge and Glandford Mill around lunchtime produced Bullfinch, Cuckoo, 4 Lesser Whitethroats, Grey Wagtail and 3 Wheatears. Always nice to see these away from the immediate coast, two were cracking males! Really recommend this walk to anyone who's birding in the area, looking for some solitude and wants to escape the crowds of Cley NWT. This area must be due something pretty good sooner or later.

An hour and a half sit down and scan at Stiffkey Fen mid-afternoon was very relaxing and enjoyable. New waders were regularly flying in for a feed and spruce up and waders already present were appearing all the time.
A good example of this were Common Sandpipers. When we first arrived, only one was showing but by the time we left, the count had increased to seven.
Other highlights here were LRP, 2 Spotty Red, Whimbrel, Greenshank, 10 Barwits, 1st summer Little Gull, ad Med Gull, Yellow Wag, Cetti's and Lesser Whitethroat.

A dusk visit to Salthouse Heath/Cley Hangs was a lovely end to the day which was helped by the fact that the wind had finally dropped and it was a perfectly still, spring evening. 3 Nighties were heard along with two Tawny's Cuckoo and 3 Muntjac's barking. SB.

Titchwell May 4th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – pair on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Pale bellied brent goose – adult on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - drake in reedbed
Bittern – male booming in reedbed

Paul

Question for you fine people of an evening

Good evening everyone,

As a few of you may know I am relatively new to the Norfolk birding scene and am still trying to build up a personal database of sites.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the section of marsh to the south of the Morston road just east of Stiffkey village. It always seems to have alot of birds on it, especially waders. I should imagine it must pick up all sorts on passage, but I can see no safe place to view from and I presume the site is private? Any infomation on the site would be extemely helpful.

Regards Kieran

Hi Kieran

There is a place you can pull in safely off the road next to an old farm building on the left hand side of the road if you're driving east, just past the marshes. If you cross the road there is a permissive footpath running between two hedges. If you head back on yourself (ie westwards) you'll reach a public footpath that heads inland through Cockthorpe Common. The flooding area can be watched quite easily (and safely) from there.

If you were to retrace your steps and follow the permissive footpath east you'll reach a small road bridge over the river. If you cross the road there and head towards the coast keeping the river on your right, you'll cross a couple of stiles and reach Stiffkey Fen which is best viewed from the top of the sea bank. This site usually has a good selection of waders and wildfowl.

Rob

Good evening everyone,

As a few of you may know I am relatively new to the Norfolk birding scene and am still trying to build up a personal database of sites.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the section of marsh to the south of the Morston road just east of Stiffkey village. It always seems to have alot of birds on it, especially waders. I should imagine it must pick up all sorts on passage, but I can see no safe place to view from and I presume the site is private? Any infomation on the site would be extemely helpful.

Regards Kieran

Stiffkey Fen is private with no access to the marshland. However the North Fen ( next to the sea wall) is viewable ( good for waders and wildfowl ) and there is an permissive path running through a strip of woodland alongside the flood meadows accessable from the main road and running inland towards Cockthorpe.

Parking is very limited and anyone parking in the gateways is likely to be moved on by the keepers. As I typed this note Rob has posted with more detailed info above .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back