• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Premier 8x20 LX vs Ultravid 8x20 (1 Viewer)

Lou H

After having compared the LX to my Zeiss 8x32 FLTs, I was very happy with the optics, except perhaps wishing for a bit more brightness (20mm obj not withstanding). I took my Nikon 8x20 LX to a shop to compare it to an Ultravid 8x20.

The Ultravid looks exceptionally classy and well crafted. I looked at the rubber covered version but I'm sure the leather version would look even better. It's focus wheel is conventionally located and has a diopter adjustment dial on the end of the wheel. To change the diopeter setting, you hold in a button on the bottom of the central piece and turn the focus wheel. This seemed a little clumbsy but might be OK after getting used to it.

As far as the view went, the LX had a little wider field and was a slight bit brighter with better contrast. Otherwise they were equally excellent.

Lou

Interesting observation. If you're planning on using any 20mm binoculars try and test them in the evening against a distant target. At midday the difference between the larger and smaller objective will hardly be noticeable but in poorer light it can be dramatic.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back