• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (6 Viewers)

Terrific mix of pastoral and industrial landscapes. As much in tune with the rural countryside as he is with the heavy brutalist architecture of steelworks and earth-scarring opencast mining.
Inspiring and thought-provoking work (not to mention b100dy prolific!). I bet you have your eye on one or two - the church drawings stand out, as do the coastal scenes.

Terrific mix of pastoral and industrial landscapes. As much in tune with the rural countryside as he is with the heavy brutalist architecture of steelworks and earth-scarring opencast mining.
Inspiring and thought-provoking work (not to mention b100dy prolific!). I bet you have your eye on one or two - the church drawings stand out, as do the coastal scenes.

It's powerful medecine alright.. makes me want to hop straight on the first plane out to the Black Sea for a dose of rusted industrial plant and Red-breasted Geese.

Fantastic wetland, sort of habitat I would give my eye teeth to go birding in again, looking forward to the birds, and I wish I'd seen this Shyshko before, VERY inspiring!

No time for proper paintin this evening but did manage to do some thinking via the computer - here for planning purposes is the eagles and the egrets digisketched in on a photo of the pic whilst I ponder my next move. I actually prefer it without the egrets but that's to be reflected on..

Attachments

• q7wtesemDSC_0010 copy.jpg
    q7wtesemDSC_0010 copy.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 114
  • bothwtesemDSC_0010 copy copy.jpg
    bothwtesemDSC_0010 copy copy.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 124
now I really love it with the egrets, though perhaps the foreground becomes a little reduntant, you could quite easily cut it in half. I hope you keep the egrets in whatever you end up doing with it, they create a vast amount of interest in what would otherwise risk being a 'nice' picture of some eagles over a marsh.

Perhaps time I did some of my own painting again instead of telling others what to do!

No time for proper paintin this evening but did manage to do some thinking via the computer - here for planning purposes is the eagles and the egrets digisketched in on a photo of the pic whilst I ponder my next move. I actually prefer it without the egrets but that's to be reflected on..

Ah Yes, White Tailed as it is seen in the wild...have seen them like this so many times causing pandemonium on the wetlands here, great stuff this Ed!

No - keep the egrets, they're just right. Wondering a little about the open-ness of the foreground. Perhaps some foil such as a dark post at an angle, just to slow the eye from scooting straight past this area and up to the action? Just a thought.

That's very constructive and encouraging all - the extended foreground had been intended to create a sense of distance but agree- it does detract. I had been toying with sticking in another closer egret but that's not the way to go. So a visit to Mr Black and Mr Decker it shall be..

Attachments

• crop2 254039497_RVC4B-L-2.jpg
    crop2 254039497_RVC4B-L-2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 132
oo er, when I change my mind I just paint over, or draw a line across it, black and decker sounds like the business though, and I think you're onto a winner with this one, really atmospheric AND action-packed!

Definitely prefer this post B & D - very brave of you to to take such drastic action...the effect of reducing the foreground is quite stunning - really like this new bristly...

Love the egrets...looking forward to seeing the finished work Ed...

This is a fantastic painting. The movement of the egrets speaks volumes about the incoming birds of prey. The loos style adds to the movement. Beautiful painting and the cropping worked perfectly!

is this the actual painting now, or are we still at the digidoodling?

Been a week of distractions, so it's still the real canvas and painted background with the test birds digidoodled into place on a photo of it.

I did manage to knife the canvas in half in true life yesterday evening after the virtual crop earlier in the week- so all that is left hopefully this weekend is to stick in the birds for real.

Not been an entirely unproductive week though- I graciously agreed to join my family at the zoo today and snuck off to revisit a little Baikal Teal that I had used for reference in the digipainting days of 2006 (left hand image) and birosketched today (right hand image). It's all good fun to do an individual - but really IMHO birds like this (Smew, R B Geese, wacky eiders etc.) have to be painted in a flock so that the replication of the pattern takes over..

Attachments

• 799headpiecebaikalmasterbird0 copy 2 copy.jpg
    799headpiecebaikalmasterbird0 copy 2 copy.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 139
  • lzbkl.jpg
    lzbkl.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 128
I would agree with the fact they would look good in a flock. They are beautiful ducks and, unfortunately, extremely rare over here. I've only seen one in captivity. Your renditions are stunning!

I don't know, yes, in a flock they would be spectacular, but I love how you've got that sweep of pattern running through your biro sketch.

Hi Ed , I'd agree with nick the Drawing has alot going for it and stands
very well on its own as a portrait. What a beauty those Teal are.

Good to see the recent stuff , sorry been busy so hav'nt had time to
look in.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back