• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 32 EL's (1 Viewer)

william j clive

Hi

On Friday while seawatching at Strumble Head,Pembrokeshire, I had the opportunity of trying a friend's new 10x32 EL's. Currently I have 8.5 x42 EL and 10x30 Canon IS. Apart from the ridiculously low gearing on the focus wheel of my EL ( it took two years to get used to this and the consequent fine focussing), I have found them to be an excellent optic. Comfortable to hold though a trifle heavy, but light in comparison to the equivalent Leica and Nikons.

The Canon IS are brilliant for use in windy conditions, or for flying birds, in particular, raptors and seabirds. They are very bright for their spec and since they are porros the sharpness is reasonable, while not being in the same league as the EL's.

I was impressed with the 10x32 EL. Slim tubes, comfortable in the hand, and they felt feather light compared to my 8.5 x42 EL. the biggest improvement over mine was undoubtedly the higher focus gearing (requiring one full turn less than mine from close focus to infinity). IF I were to change I would go for the 8x32 to complement the Canon 10x30. However, I do not feel I should assist in raising the rumoured 10% that Swarovski contribute to Austria's Gross National Product.

William,

Reading your last comment, are you suggesting that Swaros are a tad overpriced and we birders are being exploited? Do Swaro really make that much of an impact on Austria's GDP. If so, what is the problem with that? I'm just intersted in your train of thought!

Dave

Swarovski

Hi,

I'm no economics buff, the comment regarding Austria's GDP was tongue in cheek. And, yes, I do think that while their optics are very good, they are more than a tad overpriced. Optics manufactureres are always trying it on. The Nikon HG's were ridiculously overpriced when introduced, as was the Optolyth 100 scope. Both can now be purchased for more than 30% less than when introduced. When these products failed to sell in numbers, the companies were forced to ask a more realistic price.

I purchased my EL's two years after they were introduced. I first looked through a pair on Fair Isle in 1999, and was blown away by how much better they were in very poor light conditions than my nine year old 8x30 SLC's. I got mine by part exchanging a camera I no longer used in my work. Swarovski have a very clever pricing policy whereby their products are expensive when compared to others, but not outrageously so, compared to the examples above. It seems to work very well. judging by the number of their products I see in the field.

May I ask a dumb question? I have a pair of Nikon 10 X 50 binoculars that I paid approximetaly $75 USD for. What would be so different to make a pair of Austrain binocualrs be worth $1500 USD. Not tryinfg to be smart alec, just don't have a clue about the differences in binoculars.
I'm also interested in getting started in digiscoping. I have a Canon 10D and would like to mount a digiscope on it.
Thank you.
Paul

Hi Paul

it's a good question and until you try your current binoculars side by side with a top brand in poor light conditions, you'll probably know the difference.

I was happily using a pair of cheap Opticrons for many years, when I decided to upgrade I started looking through other peoples bins and was truely amazed at the difference. How much extra is worth spending very much depends on how much you can afford. But having just made the change to Leica I can say that I really feel that they have been well worth the money paid.

Only you can decide whether it is worth it or not. Optically Swarovski binocular is excellent but not alone. However the craftsmanship is second to none.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back