• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Hawkers (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Anyone know of any Norfolk Hawker sightings yet this year? I'm planning a trip to the Broads this coming weekend for Swallowtail and Norfolk Hawker but whilst if seen a few reports of the butterfly, I can find no records of the latter.

Any help gratefully received!

Anyone know of any Norfolk Hawker sightings yet this year? I'm planning a trip to the Broads this coming weekend for Swallowtail and Norfolk Hawker but whilst if seen a few reports of the butterfly, I can find no records of the latter.

Any help gratefully received!

can't help with gen Clive, but please keep us posted how you get on. I'm hoping to somehow fit the hawker in this year too :t:

The BDS website has a sightings page. http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/ and click "news and events" to see the option of the latest sightings page. reports often run a day or two behind due to being vetted before they're posted, but it's worth checking. There's a report there of norfolk hawkers at Alderfen Broad on the 6th.

Clive
Upton Fen and Strumpshaw Fen are both usually reliable sites for Norfolk Hawker and I visited both of them yesterday. I only saw 3 Norfolk Hawkers at Upton and none at Strumpshaw (but it was rather cloudy and windy by the time I arrived at Strumpshaw). In addition, part of the meadow trail at Strumpshaw is shut until the last week of June because of grazing highland cattle. However, Norfolk Hawkers were noted on the information board at Strumpshaw. Hope this helps.
Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. To be honest it's looking unlikely I will go anyway due to the weather forecast. I tried this trip last year and it was just about the worst trip I've ever done, so I'm not prepared to go again unless weather conditions are optimal. It's the likelihood of strong winds that I'm mainly concerned about.

Although there is a nice pic of a Norfolk Hawker on Birdguides taken at How Hill...

Hi Clive
I was at Strumpshaw Fen yesterday, and saw 3 Swallowtails in the morning sunshine, in the garden on the reserve circular walk, we also had a Norfolk Hawker in the overflow car park the previous evening,(left hand corner) despite a cloudy day. Hope this helps.
JohnD

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back