• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown warbler (1 Viewer)

Gaga

Could someone help me to identify the bird present on these two pictures? I took those two pictures few years ago in La Tuque, Quebec, Canada. Some people have tried to ID the birds, and I have several different answers : Blackburnian Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, even hybrid warblers!!!

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 335
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,028
Yuk!! I see what you mean! As a humble Brit, I wouldn't have a clue. It looks reasonable for Blackburnian, but where's the supercilium gone? It's got something of Cape May about it, but how did it get that yellow on the mantle? To me it seems to have more fit with Bay-breasted than anything else, but heaven knows it's not much! What time of year did you take the photos? I'll be fascinated to hear what our American experts have to say about this.

Jason

Bluetail said:
I'll be fascinated to hear what our American experts have to say about this.

Me too. Normally I hate resorting to the 'hybrid theory', but on this occasion I think I might have too.

Chris

I concur with all the epithets of the previous viewers, but will nevertheless take a stab at it-- female Yellow-rumped, perhaps an out-of-range 'Audbon's'.

I went at first for the eye crescents, which are quite distinctive, and are pretty reliable characteristics-- taking me to Yellow-rumped after a flirt with Yellow-throated (the long bill) and Canada (the breast streaking) Warblers. The extent of yellow under is difficult to see, but it appears to extend down the sides a bit and not necessarily any more; I don't think we can see the central sternum. Streaking on breast appears 'irregular', is the most I can say. The olive, streaked back in the second picture also points toward Yellow-rumped. Are these autumn photos, Gaga?

I don't think much of the other guesses-- Blackburnian, etc.-- they have in my experience always retained their very distinctive patterns and colours. Yellow-rumpeds can look like anything if you don't see the rump.

Next!

Hi Gaga,

I'm as baffled as the rest . . . but if it is any consolation, the tree it is in is a Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia; Sorbier des oiseleurs)

Michael

I'd say that it is probably a cape may - going on amount of yellow on the nape and how far it comes down the belly, elements of the black streaking on the breast and belly, the undertail pattern, general shape, bill (thin slightly decurved) etc. all look good for cape may to me. Hybrids of cape mays are very uncommon from what i've read although there is at least one record of them having bred with myrtle.

out of interest gaga what time of year was it taken?

Hope you don't mind, Gaga, but I've played with your pics a bit by intensifying the colour saturation. Don't know whether it helps, but it looks as though there's a fair bit of yellow below.

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 236
  • unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 241
the first pic seems to be much more clearly a cape may to me the only question in my mind with that pic is the bill isn't quite right. what are your thoughts on it all gaga?

Wow, thank you very much for all your thoughts on that bird... very appreciated!!! I forgot to say in my first post that those pictures were taken in autumn.

Like streatham, my first thoughts were for a Cape May Warbler, but the bill doesn't fit... I was trying to identify "by elimination", but I eliminated all my choices...

Thanks Michael, but I also identified first the Sorbier des oiseleurs (I'm a french-speaking canadian), easier to ID than the warbler!

Last edited:
Geez, I don't know what to say. I looked at Cape May too, but the bill doesn't look quite right. It looks to me like the rear wingbar is pretty bold, fairly yellow belly with no streaking, and who knows what is going on with the face pattern. I hate to cop out and say hybrid, but I don't see that it looks like any warbler I'm familiar with.

Well, I'll take back whatever I was going on about back in January, now that I can see the yellow collar and white coverts, and settle for tatty or moulting Cape May, but you never did tell us when it was taken, did you?

Let's put it to a vote... I go with a female Cape May. It's about the only bird that fits. The Yellow-rumped Myrtles came in a close second...

Michael

Charles Harper said:
Well, I'll take back whatever I was going on about back in January, now that I can see the yellow collar and white coverts, and settle for tatty or moulting Cape May, but you never did tell us when it was taken, did you?

I Charles, those photos were taken in automn.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back