• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Goose (1 Viewer)

ghs

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at communication on Bird Forum, although I have been reading the different forums for a while and I think its an amazing site. I am fairly new to birdwatching and am probably asking for a simple ID. I saw this goose 2 weeks ago at Lackford Lakes. It looks like a Canada at the back but not elswhere and its squatter. Someone I spoke to says it may be a Canada cross. I've only had the camera (Olympus C740) for a few weeks so sorry for the quality of the shots.

Thanks

George

Attachments

• Goose 1.jpg
    Goose 1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Goose 2.jpg
    Goose 2.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Goose 3.jpg
    Goose 3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 224
Looks like it's at least partially Dusky Canada ( Branta canadensis occidentalis ) since the breast is dark and there's no clear deliniation between the neck and breast colors.

edit - or what they said above.

Last edited:
Welcome to BF, George, although I see that you are not exactly a new member!
It's certainly a Canada x something but I'm not totally sure about greylag. The underparts seem to have a rather rufous hue. It may have a very mixed ancestry!

Lackford is a great site. Have some great memories from there including Night Heron and Caspian Tern, as well as a host of more common species. Looking forward to seeing more of your pics taken there.

Definitely a hybrid goose this, but to throw a spanner in the works, if it is Greylag/Canada which parent does it get the white eye ring from?

Welcome

-
George

Welcome, I posted my first photos and discussion threads today and I also have an Olympus C740.

At the moment I am doing basic digital photography at night school and feel I am coming on leaps and bounds in terms of understanding some of the things I can do with what is an excellent camera.

The camera needs to work though to learn that menu system - I would also recommend some tripods - both big and small for using the big 10x zoom.

Look forward to seeing more of your pictures. Well done on the goose with mixed parents!

Martin
-

Hi all,

I still would favour canada x greylag. The brownish breast and belly colour is common in these hybrids, also the white eye ring which does not occur in the parent species. Many canada x greylag also have a white front like greater white fronted goose, but the white patch being smaller and more irregular in Canada x Greylag.

Barheaded x canada hybrids are much lighter grey-brown coloured and have a white face with a white stripe extending down the sides of the neck. Bill was black in those I have seen and leg colour was orange as in Barheaded goose.

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back