• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird ID (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Saw what I thought was a Chipping Sparrow land on a tree near my window, and snapped a few pictures. When downloaded, the pictures didn't show a Chipping Sparrow at all. Long, thin bill; sparrow sized; mostly light-brown to brown; It then joined another of the same species. In flight, it was kind of reddish. I'm thinking a Wren of some sort, Not a Carolina wren, since there's no visible eyebrow. Could also be one of the many 5" thrushes we get.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• bird ID 1.jpg
    bird ID 1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 279
  • bird ID 2.jpg
    bird ID 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 267
Sorry about the quality of the pictures. Trying to focus on the bird, but the camera focused on the grass behind the bird, so it took me several tries to get usable pictures.

I'm not a hundred percent on this bird, but if I see it again, maybe I can get better pictures.

don't worry about the pics g-thang - i know how tough getting pics can be. what other east coast bird could it be? a small totally brown bird with a long bill - plus you mention that in flight it was kind of reddish and i can see it has a fairly prominent eye ring which is good for the house wren. the tails too long for winter wren (which is very small) that's the only other bird i could see it possibly being. and there aren't many breeders this early in the ne that would have juve. young so you can rule that theory out.

luke

I have Canada Geese down at the pond and they have two babies with them. Just born too! I snapped a bunch of pictures. I have a thread entitled "Baby Pictures!" in Birds & Birding forum, and also a picture in my gallery.

I thought it was a Wren too, and to me, the eye stood out because it was darker than the surrounding feathers. Also, I'm not sure if this is useful, but the tail on the bird above seems to be squarer than the pictures in my guides of the House Wren.

Sure looks like a House Wren. It's the only uniformly brown wren (with no distinct markings) in your area this time of year. I've had several this spring already puting sticks in my houses. They also have a loud warbling song that the male will presistantly sing.

While we are talking Wren's

I am so new at this birding stuff. I took this photo yesterday here in SC USA in my backyard. I thought this was a House Wren. Is that correct? Wow this site is great. I've just joined and am loving it. I hope to learn a lot. I need to.

Attachments

• Baby being fed.jpg
    Baby being fed.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 126
I am so new at this birding stuff. I took this photo yesterday here in SC USA in my backyard. I thought this was a House Wren. Is that correct? Wow this site is great. I've just joined and am loving it. I hope to learn a lot. I need to.

Hi KittieK,

Welcome to BF! :t: Your birds are definitely House Wrens. I can't be as certain with Gthang's photos, but I believe they are, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back