• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dragonflies, Thursley, UK (1 Viewer)

glyn

I am totally ignorant re dragonflies but keen to start learning. I took these shots on Thursley Common, Surrey on Saturday 8 June. Pictures 2 and 3 are the same individual and the Damselfly was bluer in real life. Any help gratefully received

Attachments

• four spot dragonfly.jpg
    four spot dragonfly.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 93
  • dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 96
  • dragonfly2.jpg
    dragonfly2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 87
  • dragonfly 2.jpg
    dragonfly 2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 87
  • damselfly.jpg
    damselfly.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 86
Thank you Barry. A couple of people nearby at the time were talking about Broad-bodied Chaser for number 2/3. Could it be?

Thank you Barry. A couple of people nearby at the time were talking about Broad-bodied Chaser for number 2/3. Could it be?

for me, the dark spot half way along the leading edge of the forewing, and the lack of antehumeral stripes (on the thorax) fits Four-spotted Chaser better.

Definitely four-spotted. Once you've got your eye in, the shapes are very distinctive, but the easiest thing to look for is the black mark on the wings. As long as you've got a decent photo, look for small black marks half way along the front of the wings (four-spotted) or much larger ones next to the body (broad-bodied).

My photo is a male broad-bodied, which is a different colour. A female or an immature would be more of a yellow-brown, like a four-spotted, but the wings are still a giveaway.

Attachments

• SG1L0376b.jpg
    SG1L0376b.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back