• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dec. 28 2005 Playa del Rey, California (1 Viewer)

raulroa

Got out to the beach today and although it began with a light but steady sprinkle, I took off my shirt (had t-shirt under), covered my gear and began to walk down the south jetty. Luckily for me, the rain stopped soon after and I was able to find me some good birds, including 4 lifers for my BIRDING ROOKIE YEAR 2005, which brings my list up to 211 species photographed for 2005.

List of what I got:

*Horned grebe
*Black oystercatcher
*Rudy turnstone
*Surfbird
Common loon
Black turnstone
Whimbrel
Willets
Marbled godwit
Surf scoter (m,f)
Black phoebe
Say's phoebe
Western gull
Brown pelican
Heermann's gull
Ring-billed gull
Bufflehead (m,f)
Red-breasted merganser
Sanderling
Lesser scaups (m,f)
Am. crow
Rock pigeon
lots of large waves
2 sunken boats
1 rud bum

Regards and happy new year,

Raul Roa
Whittier, CA

Congrats on your four lifers! Not bad for a day's outing!

Your list made me very homesick. Playa del Rey's lagoon, Ballona Creek and Marina del Rey's main channel were part of my regular "patch" when I lived in Santa Monica. I was surprised, though, that you didn't get Wandering Tattler. I don't think I've ever seen a Surfbird that I didn't also see a Tattler somewhere close by. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back