• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone ID please? (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Took this picture whils,t on the sand dunes on Tues afternoon.It was getting dusk but have highlighted the image a little in Elements.It does not have the beak of a stonechat,there are lots in this area,and they all sit atop a gorse branch,it has the beak of a sparrow but not the white bits on the wing feathers(please excuse my phraseology Michael!!) cannot see its front area so cannot tell if it could be a linnet,but doubt it as it is too small.There are also lots of skylarks in this area,but from its head that is ruled out.
Thankyou Christine.
I wil put a second darker picture in that has not been brightened,so may give easier id.I really am curious ,as i have gone backwards and forwards in the bird books,but cannot find anything.

Attachments

• kestrels nest 063.jpge.jpg
    kestrels nest 063.jpge.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 404
2cnd image for id,same as the 1st

This pic may give a clearer idea of feather colours.
Christine.
Sorry,they are back to front,the 1st is the un highlighted,and the 2cnd has been brightened in Elements.

Attachments

• kestrels nest 068.jpge.jpg
    kestrels nest 068.jpge.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 412
Yep, juvenile Linnet.

What you need is an edit command in Photoshop, 'Show other side of image', click on it, and it shows the front of the bird. :-O

Michael

Michael,I really am intrigued.How can the pc possibly see something that the camera cannot ,later I will have a go,can one do this in Elements 2.0 though.Anyway,thanks,will investigate later and get back to you.You really are a mine of information.
Thankyou Christine.

Stephen,thankyou,I have just said as much to Barry(hubby) who looked at me with eyebrows raised when I menioned what Michael had said,and I was just going to go to Elements to have a look,but first was coming back here to check what one had to do.
Anyway,Stephen you aren't much better,saying about counting seagulls stuck to the ice,remember!!.
But anyway,thanks Stephen,you saved me making an even bigger p--- of myself than I already am.
Christine.

Don't worry Christine! I've been caught out in similar ways many times by my boss and my hubby...they both know that i'm about 75% clueless when it comes to gadgets!!! Good job us ladies have a sense of humour!!!
Having said that, I read Michael's reply twice before realizing something wasn't right!!!

Thanks,Gill,it is good to have some female solidarity.I honestly would have gone into Elements to have a look,just that Barry walked through the door asking for his dinner(what,s new).
Shame on you Michael!!!
Christine.

Oh gosh! Your husband does that as well...demands his dinner just when you are in the middle of an interesting post! I was helping Susan ( Red Admiral thread) find a copy of a book about butterflies just ten minutes ago when hubby came downstairs and asked when the food would be ready...I'd been waiting nearly an hour for him to sort out a soundcard or something on his computer!!! He says I'm sacked!!! Whooppee!!! Never liked cooking anyway!!!
Somehow,though, I think i'll be reinstated tomorrow! Or later this evening!!!
This Bird Forum is TOO addictive!!!

Gill you can say that again re this forum being addictive.I have never spent so much time at the pc.i haven,t done a crossword for at least 2 mths,and reading is relegated to bedtime,no pc upstairs!!!,.The answer to meals Gill is prepared well in advance and then left on a plate to microwave at their convenience.I find it works a treat.We live only 25yds from one of the loca pubs.We have 2 shops and 5 pubs in this village!!!.so when i say to Barry as he scurries through the door,it is a microwave jobbie so you don,t need to rush back,his features light up with a big grin and off he goes happy as Larry!!.
Christine.

Michael Frankis said:
Yep, juvenile Linnet.

What you need is an edit command in Photoshop, 'Show other side of image', click on it, and it shows the front of the bird. :-O

Michael

Fabulous Michael, your best post in ages. Laughed my socks off!!

Or you could get the new Hewlett Packard scanner, Christine, which automatically i.d.s the input image. It's got all the major field guides in its database...

Charles I have read your comments ,and do not believe a word,of it.I shall wait until someone else verifies this fact for me.,and now as it is still raining,here ,I'm going to have a try at making an Avatar.A seagull riding a motor bike.Will be difficult,as my technical no- how is very limited,but should be interesting reults so watch this space!!.
Would anybody still like some of our rain?.
Christine.

Hi,Elizabeth,you can have as much as you wish.It is still teeming down,there was a respite about 1hr ago,got everything ready to go out,I never go on this pc during the day,but i have found my bike,now must locate the seagull and match the two,will take me hours,but at least I have no need to water the plants!!!.
have a good day,Christine.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back