• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stork? Bahia Dar, Ethiopia, Mar '16 (1 Viewer)

I would have said a member of the heron family personally - not an expert on the region, but Goliath Heron came to mind for me?

Thanks chaps, I suspect you're right. Having trouble reconciling the pale 'band' between neck and wing with any specific species, but that could just be the way the light is falling.

Either way, I think I can reconcile this to the 'doesnt really matter' basket.

Head is much too small for a hamerkop, and it appears to have a whitish throat. It's either purple or goliath heron.

why not Black-headed Heron as it's got such a big white throat? I suspect the colouration may be a lighting artefact

why not Black-headed Heron as it's got such a big white throat? I suspect the colouration may be a lighting artefact

I get your point, but basically you're saying that it's unidentifiable with which I agree. I think the bigness of the white throat is the artefact, for example, more than the colouration.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back