• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED: First Look (1 Viewer)

ceasar

Thursday morning past I ordered one from Camera Land. It arrived by Fedex on my door step Friday at 4:30 PM. Excellent service!

I note that on the title to this thread that I have not specified that I will be reviewing the 8 x 42 Terra ED. There also is a 10 x 42 version.

It was packaged in a tall plastic transparent container displaying the binocular in a vertical position. Very nice! It does put bubble wrap to shame! After taking the top off the container I took out the binocular and removed the rain guard and objective covers from it. The strap, warranty, registration, instructions and a fancy pouch with a drawstring closure were enclosed in the bottom of the container. It did not come with a case.

I put a spare strap on it and took it out on my deck to vet it out. Everything worked; there was no collimation problem so I sat down to examine it.

It has a heavy black rubber coating exterior similar to the coating on my 7 x 42 Victory FL. In short, it looks like a Zeiss binocular.

It is made in China. On the bottom of the left Objective Tube, next to the hinge it shows, in extremely tiny letters, the serial number along with the single word "China." The top of the Focus Knob has "Designed by ZEISS" printed on it.

The eye cups have 3 positions which stay firmly in place when extended. They don't operate as smoothly as the ones on my 7 x 42 Victory but they work well enough.

The oculars are set deep enough in the eye cups to accommodate eye glasses without keeping them too far from the lenses to affect the FOV. The 18mm eye relief appears to be accurate, both from what I could measure and from my own personal use. I found the eye cups to be very comfortable. I note here that the external width of the oculars are quite wide. About 23mm, which is wider than the oculars on my 7x42 Victory FL. The oculars also showed a number of small "false pupils" which I found did not show up in the view or affect it in any manner. Coatings are magenta.

The diopter ring is on the right ocular. It is commendably stiff but still easy to set. I found it to be "right on" my personal -1 setting.

The Focus Wheel turns clockwise to infinity. It focuses smoothly but it is quite fast. It only turns 360º beginning to end. Closest focus is 5.3 feet. Focus at infinity is about a 240º turn. There is plenty of accommodation past infinity for nearsighted users who want to use the binocular without wearing glasses. Personally, I would like the focus wheel to be just a bit stiffer in use but I had no problem with it because I am used to Nikon's very fast LX L focusers.

The objective lenses are set deeply into the barrels which have heavily blackened interiors. The lens coatings are green. I could see no other color reflections in them. Here is a quote from Zeiss about the coatings: "Care and maintenance The binocular lenses come standard with Zeiss MC coating. This protective coating noticeably reduces contamination (such as water, dirt and debris) of the lenses with a special smooth surface beading effect. Contaminants adhere less and can be quickly and easily removed, smear free. The Zeiss MC coating is also durable and abrasion resistant."

There is no built in tripod mounting thread. Zeiss recommends using it's Universal Tripod Adapter.

The Zeiss Limited Lifetime Warranty applies.

In use I found it to be remarkably resistant to glare, especially veiling glare when looking near the sun, and remarkably, even with the sun behind me. It is as good as any binocular I have in that respect and I am including my Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I and 10 x 42 SE.

The FOV of 375' @ 1000 yards is accurate. It has a generous sweet spot of at least 75% with a slow tapering off to the edges. Moderate pincushion distortion shows on horizontal and vertical edges.

It is very bright for a binocular in this price range. It is much brighter than my 8 x 42 Diamondback and my 8 x 42 Zen Ray Vista which I won here on Bird Forum. The last 2 evenings between 700PM until past 800PM I used it with my 7 x 42 FL on my deck until after the sun went under the horizon. The FL was brighter but when I compared the 2 of them on Cedar Waxwings perched high on dead branches in a maple tree about 100 feet away I could see the same detail on the birds with both although the Terra's birds were larger. Looking deep into the near canopy off my deck the FL was brighter but the Terra was also very good. I had no trouble seeing good color and detail on a house finch with it at 8:15 PM.

On CA I have to be careful because I am not affected by it but when looking at brightly lit edges and at the top of a mountain ridge I see very little coloration at all. What I see is the same as what I see in my best binoculars.

Colors, I note, particularly reds are very brilliant. At 8:15PM last night an American Flag waving in the wind was particularly bright with the Red and Blue standing out.

It does not come with a case but one can get a free binocular pouch from Zeiss for the cost of postage only.

I like this binocular.:t: It is easy to use and well built and better than I expected it to be. I'll keep it as my car binocular at least through winter so I can really vet it out!

Bob

PS: I think that I should make a brief comment on it's size since somewhere Zeiss describes it as compact for an 8 x 42. I'm not going to look that comment up either.

In comparisons with some similar binoculars I own it is shorter and somewhat more narrow than my Vortex 8 x 42 Diamondback; my Zen Ray 8 x 42 Vista and my Leupold 7 x 42 Cascade BX-2 and my Swift 8.5 x 44 Audubon 828. It fits loosely into their cases.

Last edited:
Thank you for your review! This sounds very nice. I'm wondering how it compares to the Conquest HD.
Recently I got close to selling my 10x32 FL but felt I needed to replace it with something, and the Conquest HD 10x42 was the closest. In fact, it was very close apart from the more obvious CA. I also didn't like the edge sharpness enough.
I found it's no use to swap and will probably keep the FL for many years coming.

Your description of the Terra ED's colour representation is appealing. The FL's colour bias is the only issue I have with it, colours seem a little bit washed-out and upon closer inspection, it erases fine hues of peach and pink.

The Terra ED does sound like a killer just like the Conquest HD changed the market.

Nicely done Bob. You have successfully reinforced my urge to go out and purchase one. At $350 it is going to be difficult not to.

After reading your comments I am left with one question though....

What didn't you like?

Nicely done Bob. You have successfully reinforced my urge to go out and purchase one. At $350 it is going to be difficult not to.

After reading your comments I am left with one question though....

What didn't you like?

Thanks Frank!

And thanks for noting that it's a $350.00 binocular. People will tend to forget that or ignore it.

At that price one can find a number of small problems. In this case they seem to be mostly mechanical, like the focus wheel and the eye cups which don't have that precise, click and feel that one finds on alphas. Other's won't like the rather narrow FOV but I did not find it restricting.

Optically, I was surprised at how good it is. Again I am looking at it from the $350.00 perspective. I would like to have someone who is susceptible to CA report on it from it's ED aspect. I suspect it will turn out well there too.

Bob

Last edited:
No pics of the unboxing, lenses, accessories, or comparison to the rest of your stable, etc?

No pics of the unboxing, lenses, accessories, or comparison to the rest of your stable, etc?

Nah!

It took long enough to write the report without setting up a gallery and I'm not good at that sort of stuff.

For the record, it is shorter than the Zen Ray and it fits, with a bit of room to spare, in the Leupold case from my 7 x 42 Cascade BX-2. So it is slightly smaller than Leupold's new Hawthorne.

Never the less, in the hand it does have a feeling of substance.

Bob

Ceasar,
I have a proposal: glue black tape over the Zeiss logo of the Terra, so nobody can see the brand of the binocular. Do the same with some binoculars of the same price range and give every binocular a number from 1 to the maximum number you can get for this test. Ask different binocular users to judge all binoculars on different aspects of optical quality and handling comfort. Write down the results and publish them on Birdforum. I have done that before and I can assure you that there is a very high probability that you will be surprised.
Gijs

The $64 question is:-

Is the Zeiss Terra ED better than the reference standard at this price point - the Zen-Ray ED3 ??

Also, does the Terra ED build upon the Zeiss brand? (the way the Conquest HD did), - or, trade on it?

Chosun :gh:

Thank you for your review! This sounds very nice. I'm wondering how it compares to the Conquest HD.
Recently I got close to selling my 10x32 FL but felt I needed to replace it with something, and the Conquest HD 10x42 was the closest. In fact, it was very close apart from the more obvious CA. I also didn't like the edge sharpness enough.
I found it's no use to swap and will probably keep the FL for many years coming.

Your description of the Terra ED's colour representation is appealing. The FL's colour bias is the only issue I have with it, colours seem a little bit washed-out and upon closer inspection, it erases fine hues of peach and pink.

The Terra ED does sound like a killer just like the Conquest HD changed the market.

Thanks for your comments Looksharp.

My report reflects only my opinion from my short experience with one example of it as compared to other similar ones I own and only time will tell if it does change the market.

The $64 question is:-

Is the Zeiss Terra ED better than the reference standard at this price point - the Zen-Ray ED3 ??

Also, does the Terra ED build upon the Zeiss brand? (the way the Conquest HD did), - or, trade on it?

Hi CJ,

Thanks for your interest.

I have no experience with the Zen-Ray ED so I can't comment. To be frank, I didn't even know it was the reference standard at this level.

As to whether it "builds" or "trades" on the Zeiss brand name I can only comment that Zeiss states right on the binocular's focus wheel where every user can see it that it is "Designed by ZEISS," and it has the Zeiss logo on it's front. I'm willing to let Zeiss take it from there. It has more than a passing resemblance to the HT and HD, especially the latter.

Bob

Ceasar,
I have a proposal: glue black tape over the Zeiss logo of the Terra, so nobody can see the brand of the binocular. Do the same with some binoculars of the same price range and give every binocular a number from 1 to the maximum number you can get for this test. Ask different binocular users to judge all binoculars on different aspects of optical quality and handling comfort. Write down the results and publish them on Birdforum. I have done that before and I can assure you that there is a very high probability that you will be surprised.
Gijs

Thanks for your comment Gijs,

I'm really not in a position to do something like that except with people I know who have little, if any, experience with binoculars.

That method is, in a way, the type of testing which I believe that the Porter's, who publish "Bird Watcher's Digest," could do every year. They get a group of people experienced with using binoculars together to test them but I don't think that they hide the identity of the binoculars.

My report is based on what I see and that in turn is based, FWIW, on my own past experiences with similar binoculars which I am familiar with.

My comment on how this Terra ED handled glare was based on all the binoculars I have used and tested under the same conditions from the same place, at or near the same time of day in mid to late morning, looking in the same ESE direction. And this particular binocular, or sample, if you will, is really excellent in that aspect!

Bob

Last edited:
Hi CJ,

Thanks for your interest.

I have no experience with the Zen-Ray ED so I can't comment. To be frank, I didn't even know it was the reference standard at this level.

As to whether it "builds" or "trades" on the Zeiss brand name I can only comment that Zeiss states right on the binocular's focus wheel where every user can see it that it is "Designed by ZEISS," and it has the Zeiss logo on it's front. I'm willing to let Zeiss take it from there. It has more than a passing resemblance to the HT and HD, especially the latter.

Bob

Bob, I'm sure some (many?) will disagree, as BFers are want to do ..... [and lo and behold as I type this, I see Rick already has!] ...... but the optics of the ED3 model are a step up over the ED series, and highly regarded (Ok, there's more pincushion, glare, and less sweet spot than some alphas, but the CA control, colour rendition neutrality, and brightness are top notch. Ergonomics, Contrast, and colour saturation are good, and sharpness is up there with top roof's in good samples). The quality, and mechanics of the ED3 package, while not perfect, are the best of the ED line, representing a step up over the ED, and ED2 iterations.

Let me stress that reference standard, is regards the overall package, and value for money At This (~$400) Price Point.

There are a few other competitors out there, and I'm sure their supporters will be along to put them forth in no short order!

Bob, I'm sure some (many?) will disagree, as BFers are want to do ..... [and lo and behold as I type this, I see Rick already has!] ...... but the optics of the ED3 model are a step up over the ED series, and highly regarded (Ok, there's more pincushion, glare, and less sweet spot than some alphas, but the CA control, colour rendition neutrality, and brightness are top notch. Ergonomics, Contrast, and colour saturation are good, and sharpness is up there with top roof's in good samples). The quality, and mechanics of the ED3 package, while not perfect, are the best of the ED line, representing a step up over the ED, and ED2 iterations.

Let me stress that reference standard, is regards the overall package, and value for money At This (~$400) Price Point.

There are a few other competitors out there, and I'm sure their supporters will be along to put them forth in no short order!

Let me make it clear that I have not compared the Terra ED to the Zen Ray ED and that I have never seen a Zen Ray ED or used one.

I will read the comparisons of them from those who have personal experience with both of them with interest.

Bob

Bob,
I enjoyed reading your very thoughtful and articulate review, and moreso because the new "cheapo" Zeiss is so good! Zeiss's late kicking of butt left and right will hardly diminish the brand.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back