• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Binocular Brand is Launched (1 Viewer)

if one rattles then all of the same model better rattle or there is something wrong somewhere ........

Depends how hard you shake the bins Gunny but I guess you might say they should have a rigorously observed standard shaking procedure. Some folks never notice their Swaros rattle and its a good job because its not a fault its a characteristic. Not sure how much time bino brands spend checking out the consistency of their characteristics, presumably they only spend time checking those that might indicate something useful. Probably other characteristics can look after themselves.

As has already been said, there is a great deal that can be tested for on finished bins otherwise the whole concept of 'final inspection' would be a waste of time.

As it happens one of the top guys at GPO in Germany started his career machining parts for bins and moved up from there. He knows the insides of bins better than many folks know the outsides and I have no doubts at all that he knows how to quality assure.

Lee

I noticed a question from GUNUT posed on Opticstalk asking how GPO was granted a slot on Bird Forum so quickly and I have tried to answer on that forum but have been unable to complete my registration there, so I am answering here because the question related to Bird Forum.

The specific question was:
"... and perhaps someone could answer how GPO got their own discussion area on the 'BIRD' forum B4 they were even being sold.....most of the upstarts have to prove themselves for a while B4 that happens?????...if even then...who is pulling strings for them and why....???.."

My answer:
Not sure how BF has accepted new brands in the past, but GPO got their posting site simply because I asked nicely and I am guessing that Blue Steve is keen to keep the membership of BF growing by keeping the Forum up to date with market developments. Maybe other brands were not aware that Bird Forum is the largest of its kind in the world with 250,000 members and didn’t prioritise a presence on the Forum. I did, it's really as simple as that.

Well, to paraphrase President Clinton, I guess it is what the meaning of established is.

The GPO brand may be new but the people behind it are not. Those folks are from the highest levels of one of the oldest optics companies in the world (Zeiss) and are well established in the optics and outdoors market.

There are several new manufacturers out there but what makes GPO different is that their products from the beginning are an international offering rather than U.S. centric and they will be offered through multiple channels for a much wider distribution than the much more limited direct marketing approach used by some of the other startups. Bird Forum has a broad international membership and so it makes sense that GPO would have more appeal to the total membership than some of the other more limited brands.

Another aspect to established applies directly to Mike. When head honcho of Zeiss Sports Optics USA, Mike was an active participant on this forum directly addressing subjects about Zeiss and the industry. He established himself as a valuable addition to the Bird Forum. From what I can tell, the folks associated with the other start ups are also great folks with industry ties, but I do not recall them ever putting themselves out there on Bird Forum to share their knowledge or help their customers. Mike has a proven track record of positive contributions that may have been one of the considerations in adding the new sub forum.

Although the product name is new, there is a lot about GPO that is well established in the optics industry and Bird Forum. I think it is a positive thing for Bird Forum to have the addition of the GPO sub forum. I wonder what was the braver act for Mike: Risking everything on a new venture or putting himself out there for all the slings and arrows that come from being on an internet forum!

Good luck Mike and I hope you continue to give us your insight on GPO and the industry.

Last edited:
I'm sure all those lumped in ''others'' for years will now start asking nicely for a slot.....

And if they do I am sure Blue Steve will make the right decisions. Bird Forum now has over 250,000 members and is the largest of its kind in the world so it is clear Blue Steve knows what he is doing.

Lee

Mike, I just want to wish you all the best on this new venture. I doubt you'll remember me and our private communications from a few years ago when I was dealing with faulty eyecups on my Conquest HD 8x42's. You did something very nice to help me solve that issue and it told me a lot about you as a person.

If I can be of any help in your new venture, please feel free to send me a PM.

Chris Greene

Mike, I just want to wish you all the best on this new venture. I doubt you'll remember me and our private communications from a few years ago when I was dealing with faulty eyecups on my Conquest HD 8x42's. You did something very nice to help me solve that issue and it told me a lot about you as a person.

If I can be of any help in your new venture, please feel free to send me a PM.

Chris Greene

Chris, I certainly do remember you and I'm glad you are well. As you can see GPO will grow organically with quality and service behind it. Let's stay in touch.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back