• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flowers for ID Please (1 Viewer)

LizandDave

Well it has gone a bit quiet so I thought I would ask for ID on some plants I failed to find in the books. As such I suspect they may be garden escapes.
I have several more unidentified flowers for later!

All found last few days in NW Kent

1. Found next to compost heap in cemetery
2. Found growing out of a crack in a very old high wall next to a river
3. Ditto

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• no id fawkham church compost heap 230713yyy.jpg
    no id fawkham church compost heap 230713yyy.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 119
  • no id shoreham 240713 xxx.jpg
    no id shoreham 240713 xxx.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 108
  • no id shoreham 240713a zzz.jpg
    no id shoreham 240713a zzz.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 123
1st is a Sedum sp. (Stonecrop), 2nd is Ivy-leaved Toadflax (Cymbalaria muralis) and the 3rd seems to be a Campanula sp - not one we get down here...

1. Sedum rupestre (Reflexed Stonecrop)
2. Cymbalaria muralis (Ivy-leaved Toadflax)
3. Campanula poscharskyana (Trailing Bellflower)

but there could be other potential garden escape Campanulas

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that, by Campanula sp. do you mean of the Campanula species? Sorry I'm new at this. I guess if so it's a garden escape as it doesn't match harebells being a wall climber.

I think may be the Stonecrop is a Creeping Jenny, a garden escape? Hadn't thought of stonecrop before as I have only seen it in very poor soils and this was by a compost heap, but it definitely is a stonecrop flower similar to Biting Stonecrop.

I have another weird stonecrop I'll post up a photo soon.
Dave

Thanks for that, I wonder when a garden escape becomes a wildflower? I suppose it is if it survives in the wild for a few years, albeit an alien one. However most of our plants seem to be aliens in any case.

Chancing my luck, here's a few more I can't ID.

1. Hawkweed like flower hairy leaves Rye NR late June
2. Growing on a chalky dry bank a couple of days ago, I'm not good with these!
3. Appears to have no petals! Found by a footpath at Ranscombe Farm in June and in a hedgerow at Ightam Mote the other day.
4. A very pink fluffy looking stonecrop about 3" tall with whorled succelnet leaves found on very thin poor chalk soil at Darenth CP 2 weeks ago
5. Large yellow iris type plant found at Bluewater by a lake. And before you assume it must be planted there were Bee Orchids nearby so who knows! End of June this one.

Thanks for looking
Dave

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 107
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 113
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 114
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 106
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
Last one is Sisyrinchium Striatum.
No 2 is a labiate-Wild Basil? No 3 is a Cinquefoil of some kind. No references to hand so cannot be more specific than that I am afraid.

Thanks, I do wonder if the petals had fallen off on No 3 but don't know really. I'm very curious about No 4 as that is on a reserve a long way from the nearest garden,
Dave

I wonder when a garden escape becomes a wildflower?

anything self seeded or vegetatively propagated outside continued gardening can count as an alien

1. Senecio viscosus (Sticky Groundsel)
2. Clinopodium vulgare (Wild Basil)
3. Potentilla sp.
4. Sedum spurium (Caucasian-stonecrop)
5. Sisyrinchium striatum (Pale Yellow-eyed-grass)

However, do treat all my dets with skepticism and check appropriate literature.

#1 Sticky Groundsel Senicio viscosus
#2 Wild Basil Clinopodium vulgare
#3 probably Creeping Cinquefoil Potentilla reptans but there is a lot of hybridization between the non-shrubbery Cinquefoils and Tormentils.
#4 Possibly Caucasian Stonecrop Sedum spurium . It's one of the commonest pink flowered Stonecrop to escape.
#5 I should know, but for the life of me, I can't even think of the genus at the moment. It's an escaped bulb, anyway.

Chris

Ficedula's got #5 right.

c

I'm very curious about No 4 as that is on a reserve a long way from the nearest garden,
Dave

It's surprising how far garden plants can travel.New Zealand Willowherb, one of the most boring plant to stick in your garden IMO, is found well away from any sign of habitation in Snowdonia, the Cairngoms and the Flow Country of Sutherland.

Chris

Great thanks very much, that's livened this section up a bit. I've got a few more but haven't got time at the moment to list them.
Thanks again.
Dave

We could do with a book of "aliens" as they are found everywhere not just in Area 51s' garden....
I searched all the wildflower books I have and online but of course these arent in them.

No. 3 was bigger than tormentil about 2" diameter although the leaves match.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back