• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (1 Viewer)

A few more to test you out! All taken in the dunes around Druridge Bay

The first would appear to me to be Frosted Orache, but I can see a lot of similar species, so would appreciate a confirmation or correction.

Then there was this white hairy-leaved flower which put me in mind of Restharrow, but not the white flowers.

Next, a not-very-good photo of a straggly, small yellow flower, possibly Autumn(!) Hawkbit?

And finally, this strange looking yellow-brown cluster of flowers

Attachments

• frosted_orache.jpg
    frosted_orache.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 91
  • druridge_unknown1.jpg
    druridge_unknown1.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 100
  • autumn_hawkbit.jpg
    autumn_hawkbit.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 85
  • druridge_unknown2.jpg
    druridge_unknown2.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 91
1 I would say Atriplex prostrata
2 looks familiar but can'tquite place it
3 inclined to say Smooth Hawksbeard, Crepis capillaris
4 seed heads of Cowslip, Primula veris

One from the garden today - is this Sun Spurge?

Attachments

• unknown_sun_spurge.jpg
    unknown_sun_spurge.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 60
  • unknown_sun_spurge2.jpg
    unknown_sun_spurge2.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 62
And then three more from Druridge Bay.

The first one appears to be some kind of pea plant, but I cannot find anything to match in my guide and in web searches (although the poor photo probably does not help)

Then a neat-looking, dark-green-leaved spike, could it be some kind of eyebright species?!

And, I am sure I should know the last one, a large shrub-like plant with these silver-white flowers (buds?)

Attachments

• druridge_unknown2.jpg
    druridge_unknown2.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 69
  • druridge_unknown3.jpg
    druridge_unknown3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 73
  • druridge_unknown5.jpg
    druridge_unknown5.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 63
1 Petty Spurge, Euphorbia peplus
2 Smooth Tare, Vicia tetrasperma
3 Common Gromwell, Lithospermum officinale
4 Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris

A few more from the coast last weekend, where there were lots of new species in flower compared to my last visit, but I am struggling with these ones.

The first I think is probably Sea Plantain (it was on a sea cliff), but I'm not certain if it couldn't be another plantain species.

Then there are these clusters of tiny yellow flowers with whorls of leaves. These plants were very low-lying, and again, on a sea cliff.

Third, some large bushy spikes with purple trumpet-like flowers - can't find anything like this in my plant guide.

Finally, presumably some kind of Eyebright species, but is it possible to say which?

Attachments

• sea_plantain.jpg
    sea_plantain.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 61
  • SnabPoint_unknown.jpg
    SnabPoint_unknown.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DP_unknown.jpg
    DP_unknown.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 65
  • eyebright_species.jpg
    eyebright_species.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 81
1 agree, Sea Plantain, Plantago maritima
2 Lady's Bedstraw going to fruit, Galium verum
3 common plant of open well drained habitats- Viper' Bugloss, Echium vulgare (also Wild Carrot + Black Knapweed for completion)
4 Yes an Eyebright, Euphrasia sp, but that's as far as I go.

1. correct; 2. Bedstraw in fruit, looks like Hedge, could be Lady's; 3. Viper's Bugloss; 4. Not for me... arctica is apparently the common one in Northumberland.

Too slow, haha!

Thanks, both. I wondered about a Bedstraw for the second one, due to the whorls of leaves, so interesting to know how the fruit look.

OK, now for something a bit different....

The first one I'm guessing is some kind of moss, growing among a big patch of liverwort, but I cannot find anything to match it in my on-line searches so far. Admittedly, I don't exactly know where to start, so have been looking through some fairly basic guides, but so far to no avail, and of course, it might not be a moss at all!!

Then the second one is definitely a moss(!), growing in large, thick mats on old wooden sleepers...possibly some kind of feather moss or plait moss...?

Anyone able to help?

Attachments

• unknown_moss.jpg
    unknown_moss.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 65
  • unknown_moss2.jpg
    unknown_moss2.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
And then another flower.

Am I right in thinking that this is Perforate St John's Wort? There seems to be a lot of very similar species, but I am not exactly sure of the differences (any advice welcome!)

Attachments

• st_john's_wort.jpg
    st_john's_wort.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 62
First in the new set is Procumbent Pearlwort Sagina procumbens (a flowering plant ;)).

Third isn't Perforate St John's Wort; the flower too large, and the leaves not dotted with translucent glands ("perforations"). Maybe Tutsan, but have to check later when I've got more time.

First in the new set is Procumbent Pearlwort Sagina procumbens (a flowering plant ;)).

haha! I'm glad I went back and edited the post to say "of course, it might not be a moss at all!".... a bit of an afterthought, but at least it makes it look like I have some knowledge!! :-O

And here is a larger version of the Hypericum photo, if it helps, showing more foliage

Attachments

• hypericum2.jpg
    hypericum2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 61
Have to say I disagree with Nutcracker + believe your plant is indeed Perforate St. John's-wort. Your second photo does show translucent dots on the leaf + the stem seems to show 2 raised lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back