• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (3 Viewers)

Will be a cool cam
But no articulated screen ??? !!
For me one of the cleverest features of modern cams.
Info from DPReview link above

It's good that it takes the 7d battery, but the 7dII battery needs its own charger.

Will the MkII charger charge the MkI battery, or will I have to carry two chargers on my hols, one for the new battery and one for the spare from the old camera?

I'm sick to death of the number of chargers I carry as it is, without adding another one.

It's good that it takes the 7d battery, but the 7dII battery needs its own charger.

Will the MkII charger charge the MkI battery, or will I have to carry two chargers on my hols, one for the new battery and one for the spare from the old camera?

I'm sick to death of the number of chargers I carry as it is, without adding another one.

In all probability the Mk2 charger will charge the 7D one but not the other way around.That's the way it works with the 1DX and it's predecessors.
It's a shame they don't give you a dual battery charger as they do with the 1D series. You are far more likely to need it with the smaller batteries.

How I wish there was an excellent digital zoom for photos like the Clear Image Zoom found on the Sony SLTs. Unfortunately, that seems incompatible with an OVF.

55ms shutter lag now that's the same as a 1dx if set to slow so the 7dmkII should feel very fast and responsive.

Rob.

Have to say it looks pretty good. The new AF, new sensor (will be closely watching reviews for info on that), AF at f8, dual memory card slots...................................I'll be getting one by the end of the year unless some horrible flaws come to light.

Where do you see the f8 auto focus, as I'm not seeing that spelled out anywhere. I recall it at the rumor stage, but it is not jumping out at me from the specs.

Where do you see the f8 auto focus, as I'm not seeing that spelled out anywhere. I recall it at the rumor stage, but it is not jumping out at me from the specs.

Well I hope so...............as I ordered a 7D MK2 yesterday together with a 2X TC for my 500 f4.

Actually this page confirms it, you'll need to translate it in your browser.

The relevant paragraph is near the top. The (badly) translated version is as follows:

In all AF points, cross F5.6 luminous flux corresponding (vertical / horizontal) distance measurement is possible ※ 1 so, it demonstrates capture performance can not be obtained in the detection of one or the other either horizontal or vertical line. Line sensor in the center AF point high frequency of use, (dual cross-type AF F5.6 luminous flux corresponding cross-type AF and F2.8 to achieve a high precision focus ※ 2 place). It corresponds to F8 open ※ 3 for that, even in the lens to become open F8 by mounting the extenders, cross-type AF at the center AF point is possible. In addition, low brightness limits achieve the EV-3 (center 1 point). Even when shooting at high sensitivity dark scenes, you can shoot that take advantage of high-precision AF.

Also confirmed here.

^^

Well there goes part of a paycheque when the price comes down. I could mount a 1.4 to my 400/5.6 and get more reach on the days I want it, and not break the bank. A lot of days I need the reach I manually focus as I am sitting around though, so it might not be quite the sell I think it is. Generally walking about 400 is more than adequate. We'll see if I can talk myself out of it in time.

There is a review of the Canon 7DII on the Ken Rockwell blog. Of course he has no idea of the requirements for birding, but he has some details I have not seen elsewhere.

I have seen high ISO samples/analysis and it is thought that the MkII is about 2/3 of a stop better than the MkI - obvious not up to Full frame standards but a very worthwhile improvement. BTW the sensor is just a beefed-up 70D sensor from what I have read, not that the 70D sensor is bad but just saying. The AF would appear to be a big upgrade on the previous version. All in all it promises to be a very good birding/wildlife Camera.

^^

Well there goes part of a paycheque when the price comes down. I could mount a 1.4 to my 400/5.6 and get more reach on the days I want it, and not break the bank. A lot of days I need the reach I manually focus as I am sitting around though, so it might not be quite the sell I think it is. Generally walking about 400 is more than adequate. We'll see if I can talk myself out of it in time.
I agree that the f8 AF is no big deal and is not a reason to buy the Camera Kyle although would be useful at times. From my experience of shooting the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc on the 5D3 the AF speed takes quite a hit and limited to the centre focus point can also be frustrating. For a slow (f5.6) lens the 400/5.6 takes a tc very well but there is a definite fall off in IQ as I am sure you have found.

Last edited:
It all seems to read well but there must surely be some reasons why it costs £1600 and even the 5D3 is £2300? Canon seldom give anything away for nothing. We need to see one tested by a bird photographer though: racing 6 feet tall people and cars are hardly a challenge for any camera's AF system

It all seems to read well but there must surely be some reasons why it costs £1600 and even the 5D3 is £2300? Canon seldom give anything away for nothing. We need to see one tested by a bird photographer though: racing 6 feet tall people and cars are hardly a challenge for any camera's AF system

I think in part Canon HAD to give us something as the 7d is a few years old now also they need to try and get ahead of Nikon and woo people over .

Once someone gets into a system then it can cost a lot to change and not many will do that, if you can fill the frame it wont beat the 5dmkIII or 1dx .

It wont beat the 1dx in AF speed as the larger battery will drive the motors faster so for the fastest AF you need a 1dx and a mkII lens .

I don't think there will be a lot in it but as you know sometimes just a little gain in speed can get the shot over not getting it .
Im just about sure I will get a 7dmkII if only for the reach .

Rob.

If anybody is interested in Pre-ordering the Camera If you Pre-order it through me (Marc Read) at Park Cameras (01444 237070) we are giving away a Birding Holiday with Birding in Spain to two lucky people! http://tinyurl.com/ou7bl4p

Also can't promise any discount but I'll always try and look after Bird Photographers :)

Looks like it is going to be a fine camera that ticks virtually all the boxes for bird photographers - I will certainly be looking at one as a backup/lightweight alternative to my 1 series.
My only disappointment with this camera is that Canon have gone for a fashionably high MP count - I feel it would have been a better camera with fewer MP and better high ISO performance. I suspect that I am in the minority on this point so Canon are not going to make an APSC camera that suits my (and a few other's) needs, though they do make the (relatively low MP) 1DX which I rate VERY highly - pity it weighs a ton!

YES. I'm a Nikon guy, but I want all you Canon photographers to buy these like crazy! Order 2 for yourself, and 3 more as gifts! I want this camera to break all sales records for Canon! Send those Nikon idiot bean-counting executives a strong message! Please!
:-O

Dave

Dave why don't you see sense and swop to Canon.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back