• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Could be a good time to try Far Pastures for Kingfishers:smoke:
Definitely is - i saw 2 there together on Sunday afternoon, but they didn't visit any of the perches near the hide to make them easy to photograph. The water levels at Far Pasture were also very high to normal levels, guess they were up approx 18 inches or more judging by the post that is at the far end of the right hand pond.

I've never before seen such a large group of cormorants as the one that flew south along Easington coast yesterday.
The shot below was the bulk of an estimated 100 + with a smaller group of around 40-50 following on some minutes later.
They must have been giving away free fish at Teeside ;)

Attachments

• _DSC0187.jpg
    _DSC0187.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 142
I've never before seen such a large group of cormorants as the one that flew south along Easington coast yesterday.
The shot below was the bulk of an estimated 100 + with a smaller group of around 40-50 following on some minutes later.

Hi John,
I also saw this group of Cormorants as they flew south past Trow Quarry yesterday morning. I also estimate about 100 or so, by far the biggest flying flock of Cormorants I've ever seen.

Not being funny, but are you sure they were Cormorants? Early to mid-September is the usual time for an influx of Shags from the Farnes/Scotland and large flocks can sometimes be seen flying south.

Hi John,
I also saw this group of Cormorants as they flew south past Trow Quarry yesterday morning. I also estimate about 100 or so, by far the biggest flying flock of Cormorants I've ever seen.

Youre not trying to tern Shags into Cormorants too are you Neil :eek!: ............. ;)

-----------------------

Nice Wood Sandpiper on the driveway flash at RM's late yestday aftnoon
Wood Pigeon sitting on eggs in central Sunderland today

------------------------

JG reports an Osprey over the small fishing pond at Waldridge Fell this morning.

Not being funny, but are you sure they were Cormorants? Early to mid-September is the usual time for an influx of Shags from the Farnes/Scotland and large flocks can sometimes be seen flying south.
They were black and had long beaks ;)
Here's a large crop of the image - the birds were a fair way off.
I await expert advise.

Attachments

• _DSC0185.jpg
    _DSC0185.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 140
I await expert advise.

Yeah JBee they are Cormorants.
by the way I am the young guy that was at Hetton Lyons looking for the Wryneck. I carried Steve Evans scope for him, which payed of with some great views of the wryneck.:t:

Spent most of the day at Hetton Boggs with JBee and drank most of his coffee :-O.
Barnstormer also turned up on the afternoon, nice meeting you again Brian :t:.
Not hugely busy throughout the day, with a few of the regulars:
Blue, Great, Coal & Willow Tits.
Mallards.
Moorehens.
Coots.
Chaffinch.
Juv, Bull Finch.
Raggy looking Magpie.
Kingfisher visited a few times and on one occassion 2 flew In.

Oh! nearly forgot, nice meeting Mick & Joanne at the Boggs the other day :t:, I wish I had someone to carry my gear around ;).

Attachments

• _MG_4528.jpg
    _MG_4528.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_4593.jpg
    _MG_4593.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_4623.jpg
    _MG_4623.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 65
  • _MG_4527.jpg
    _MG_4527.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_4601.jpg
    _MG_4601.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 59

Youre not trying to tern Shags into Cormorants too are you Neil :eek!: ............. ;)

You get so used to seeing Cormorants flying past every five minutes you end up assuming everything is a Cormorant, had one in the garden today ;)
Need Shag for my month list :-O

I await expert advise.

We'll have to wait for the seawatching expert John, but in the meantime i'd agree with the others that theres no question that its a huge flock of Cormorants that you & Neil have seen ( & very lucky to have captured.:t: ).

Cormorants are generally big, long winged (pointed but wing tips splayed) & black, they have thick kinked necks & wedge shape heads.

Shags are generally not so big;) ,but are also black, with shorter blunter wings, long straight narrow necks with smaller more rounded heads & appear more pot-bellied when flying.

Spent most of the day at Hetton Boggs with JBee and drank most of his coffee :-O.
Barnstormer also turned up on the afternoon, nice meeting you again Brian :t:.
Not hugely busy throughout the day, with a few of the regulars:
Blue, Great, Coal & Willow Tits.
Mallards.
Moorehens.
Coots.
Chaffinch.
Juv, Bull Finch.
Raggy looking Magpie.
Kingfisher visited a few times and on one occassion 2 flew In.

Oh! nearly forgot, nice meeting Mick & Joanne at the Boggs the other day :t:, I wish I had someone to carry my gear around ;).

i did realise who "Scuzz" was untill the day after the Lyons Wryneck...:eek!:
Whats happening with the Water Rails down there ? Pretty sure, that this time last year there were a few out & about......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back