• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Walked along the Blast beach and round the point to Hawthorn:
Birds seen: Wheatear, pied wag, mipits, LBB Gulls, Herring Gulls, 5 cormorants, large flock rock doves, 2 robins, 7 oyster catchers, crows, 2 sanderling and I think, 1 whimbrel which was well of, flying along the coast.

Return journey along the cliff tops:
More LBB and Herring gulls, 1 kestrel, 1 peregrine which flew towards the quary, small flock gold finch, large flock lapwing, jackdaws, more mipits & crows.

Attachments

• _MG_5028.jpg
    _MG_5028.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_5039.jpg
    _MG_5039.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_5121.jpg
    _MG_5121.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_5165.jpg
    _MG_5165.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_5172.jpg
    _MG_5172.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Walked along the Blast beach and round the point to Hawthorn:
Birds seen: Wheatear, pied wag, mipits, LBB Gulls, Herring Gulls, 5 cormorants, large flock rock doves, 2 robins, 7 oyster catchers, crows, 2 sanderling and I think, 1 whimbrel which was well of, flying along the coast.

Return journey along the cliff tops:
More LBB and Herring gulls, 1 kestrel, 1 peregrine which flew towards the quary, small flock gold finch, large flock lapwing, jackdaws, more mipits & crows.

that in the pic is not a whimbrel bill too long:t:

no bins

We were busting to go down the coast today but no time did get up to Burdon moor for ½ hour but when we arrived a look in the boot revealed no bins I had taking them indoors to give them there annual wash and brush up so had to rely on the camera what a pain in the a*** but was fun checking what we had seen on pc until we came to this one cant decide what it is anybody??
Seen
Stonechat
Snipe
Grey partridge
Kestrel
Linnet
100 goldies
?????? will fill this in later

Attachments

• 14th burdon moor 011.jpg
    14th burdon moor 011.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 14th burdon moor 012.jpg
    14th burdon moor 012.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 14th burdon moor 013.jpg
    14th burdon moor 013.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 99
I'm going to assume this is a very peachy coloured female stonechat or a juvenile.
I'd prefer it if someone said it was something a little rarer but I'm not that lucky ;) ;)

Attachments

• _DSC1237.jpg
    _DSC1237.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
whin it or wont it

I'm going to assume this is a very peachy coloured female stonechat or a juvenile.
I'd prefer it if someone said it was something a little rarer but I'm not that lucky ;) ;)

think you are right there jbee..i want mine to be a whinchat;)

a taste of honey

Defiantly a buzzard circling watergate lake today.. just how far do these honeys come inland?but have seen buzzards here before!

We were busting to go down the coast today but no time did get up to Burdon moor for ½ hour but when we arrived a look in the boot revealed no bins I had taking them indoors to give them there annual wash and brush up so had to rely on the camera what a pain in the a*** but was fun checking what we had seen on pc until we came to this one cant decide what it is anybody??
Seen
Stonechat
Snipe
Grey partridge
Kestrel
Linnet
100 goldies
?????? will fill this in later
Looks like a Whinchat to me .

A great day out today at Potteric Carr in south Yorkshire some life ticks included:
Red Crested Pochard, Honey Buzzard, Hobby, Spotted Flycatcher, and Goldcrest.

Also had Jay, Black Headed Gull, Green Sandpiper (heard), Coot, Moorhen, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Heron, Teal, Pochard, Little Egret, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Mallard, Stock Dove, Little Grebe, Common Buzzard and Gadwall.

Defiantly a buzzard circling watergate lake today.. just how far do these honeys come inland?but have seen buzzards here before!

just checked gateshead birders site honey seen in gateshead today only 1 min as the buzzard flys away.funny because never seen a buzzard circling the lake before they were always passing by

Last edited:
FAO : Kinghorn the bird brain.

Are you the young(ish) lad I've seen a few times at RM's. Are you very thin and have spiky hair ?

If so , nice to put a name to a face. I've seen you a few times and thought you were a nice person.

If not , I've totally embarrased myself.

Had another trip to Hetton Bogs today - my new favourite place. Arrived around noon, which wasn't the best time, but I was treated to a feeding frenzy from a flock of tits, including blue, great, coal, long tailed and willow. No sign of water rail or kingfisher but four mallard and about half a dozen moorhen.

I left a bag of sunflower seed at the hide for when you next replenish the feeding station.

FAO : Kinghorn the bird brain.

Are you the young(ish) lad I've seen a few times at RM's. Are you very thin and have spiky hair ?

If so , nice to put a name to a face. I've seen you a few times and thought you were a nice person.

If not , I've totally embarrased myself.

COORECT! That's me often have my scope and am often in the hide. "Skinny" why thank you! ;)
Have I ever spoken to you before? Describe yourself.
Andrew K
ps. I am 16

A few bits and bobs from my travels the last week or so.

Attachments

• hb 001.jpg
    hb 001.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 145
  • sandlin 001.jpg
    sandlin 001.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Ando Shrike 014.jpg
    Ando Shrike 014.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 107
  • teesdale2 004.jpg
    teesdale2 004.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 2ict 001.jpg
    2ict 001.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Pile it on

A few bits and bobs from my travels the last week or so.

Ahh, i see.... a fun quiz, Great !
Where are the answers....? are they on the DBC Club Forum ? ;)

Love the first pic ! :t:
Right place right time for me after work this afternoon... ..
Have stumbled upon HB's on 3 consecutive days....

Lots of finches moving today, Chaff, Green, Gold, Siskin, Redpoll & one Crossbill.
Wildfowl coming in too, with new Gadwall , Shoveller, Wigeon & Teal in today.
Still masses of Swallows & Mipits going over, though havnt had too many Skylarks yet..
Redwing at RM's yesterday & one on edge of Sunderland on Thursday morning

Realy exicting at the moment - got the impression there could be anything, anywhere....
Aint goin' anywhere without bins! - had mine to the toilet & round my neck while i was mowing the grass yestday! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back