• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

On a visit to Bempton Cliffs last wednesday me & the brother in law after refering to the collins bird guide saw what we thought were rock doves showing the white trapezium shaped wedge on the backs. Is this the norm for Feral Pigeons as well ?

Any idea MARTIN

Last edited:
On a visit to Bempton Cliffs last wednesday me & the brother in law after refering to the collins bird guide saw what we thought were rock doves showing the white trapezium shaped wedge on the backs. Is this the norm for Feral Pigeons as well ?

Any idea MARTIN
Hi there some Feral Pigeons can show the same plumage features of Rock Doves.

Rainton Meadows

The company I work for has just moved to Rainton Bridge - so the past three mornings I been birding Rainton Meadows. I'm not from this area to be honest (from Oldham) so not 100% what the best species for the area are - but highlights so far have been a cracking Short-eared Owl yesterday morning and 7 species of Warbler - including at least four singing Garden Warblers (always hard to see in Greater Manchester) of which two have shown relatively (for the species) well along the entrance road (and bridle path) to the Visitors centre, plus a pair of Bullfinches.

All keep posting any decent sightings i have on this forum.

Cheers Gary Crowder

Any idea MARTIN

When I first started birding it was believed that there were still Rock Doves breeding on the Yorkshire coast at places such as Bempton and Whitby.

However, in the intervening years it has since been decided that these birds have probably interbred with Feral Pigeons, so are unlikely to be pure bred Rock Doves.

When you see them though, they look the same as the birds in NW Scotland, so there's little or no difference in reality - and they are of course originally the same species.

Walk around Waldridge Fell today. Some good birds seen. Highlights were a Green Woodpecker flying away and some really good views of a Cuckoo finally tracked down after hearing it several times. Also seen; 3 Willow Warblers, 4 Chiff Chaff, 5 Yellowhammer 1 Grasshopper Warbler, couple of Wrens, 1 Kestrel, 2 Reed Bunting, loads of Linnets, Whiethroats heard but not seen 1 Blackcap. Lots of Skylarks Swifts and Swallows. Loads of other singing Birds but not seen I suspect due to the amount of Dog Walkers lettingtheir hounds run amok everywhere.

Good views of the Cetti's Warbler this morning at Dormans Pool.

I understand the ringed bird was ringed at Rye Meads, Hertfordshire.

Attachments

• IMG_4223ao.jpg
    IMG_4223ao.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4230ao.jpg
    IMG_4230ao.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4232ao.jpg
    IMG_4232ao.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4242ao.jpg
    IMG_4242ao.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4255ao.jpg
    IMG_4255ao.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 75
Its a bit of a kick in the teeth for us Durham birders, missing such a fantastic bird as the Brown Headed Cowbird. The question is with this species: Will there ever be another?

Blue Tit with young today; in this steel pipe.:eek!:
Should be pretty safe from woodpeckers.

Attachments

• chetty 022.jpg
    chetty 022.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 126
Hi All

I spent last weekend in the Lake District. The girlfriend and I stayed in Keswick and it is the first time I have combined Birding with a holiday.

I had 4 firsts: Redstart, Barnacle Goose, Siskin and Osprey, as well as loads of other species.

The highlight was of course the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite, we had stunning viewpoints of the pair on the nest from the Upper Viewpoints. Didn't see them catch any fish but we did see the male attack a Buzzard which strayed too close to the nest.

Matt

Its a bit of a kick in the teeth for us Durham birders, missing such a fantastic bird as the Brown Headed Cowbird. The question is with this species: Will there ever be another?

It's just pot luck in terms of which particular garden it ended up in - not much anyone can do about that.

For years birders have been wondering how many rarities are slipping through the net, and the digital age seems to be giving us some of the answer - obviously quite a few, and some real crackers.

The bird in Seaburn is probably the bird that was at Belford/Fair Isle last year, so it may still be around.

I suspect it has headed north already, but it could still be about, or could return in the autumn. They follow cows - for the insects - so cattle fields are worth checking. Originally, they followed bison - so Farnless Farm at BM might attract it if it has a bout of nostalgia for the New World

Saturday 12th

Cowpen Bewley Country Park - Lots of birds calling around the lake but very difficult to spot because of all the foliage. Saw my first Whitethroat though.

Has anyone any tips for this type of birding as it can get quite frustrating, especially to a novice like me! Is it best to pick a spot and sit and wait for the birds to come along or to follow the calls and see if you can spot them? I have heard chiffchaff loads of times now but have still not managed to see one.

Saltholme - Saw my first Twite, male and female gave great views in front of the Saltholme Pools hide. Also saw Barnacle Goose and loads of Yellow Wagtail as well as the usual. Didn't manage to spot the Broad Billed Sandpiper.

Headed over to Doormans to try and see the Cetti's but had stopped showing by the time I got there.

Sunday 13th

Low Barns - Had my first Reed Warbler and Garden Warbler! Only managed to id the Garden Warbler when I got home and looked at my bird books. ID'ing warblers is certainly a challenge!!. Also saw G.S Woodpecker at 3 different locations, Reed buntings and Coal Tits as well as the usual. The feeders were very busy with all the usual birds as well as Pheasant, Grey Squirrel and Rabbit!

Last edited:
Saturday 12th

Cowpen Bewley Country Park - Lots of birds calling around the lake but very difficult to spot because of all the foliage. Saw my first Whitethroat though.

Has anyone any tips for this type of birding as it can get quite frustrating, especially to a novice like me! Is it best to pick a spot and sit and wait for the birds to come along or to follow the calls and see if you can spot them? I have heard chiffchaff loads of times now but have still not managed to see one.

Saltholme - Saw my first Twite, male and female gave great views in front of the Saltholme Pools hide. Also saw Barnacle Goose and loads of Yellow Wagtail as well as the usual. Didn't manage to spot the Broad Billed Sandpiper.

Headed over to Doormans to try and see the Cetti's but had stopped showing by the time I got there.

Sunday 13th

Low Barns - Had my first Reed Warbler and Garden Warbler! Only managed to id the Garden Warbler when I got home and looked at my bird books. ID'ing warblers is certainly a challenge!!. Also saw G.S Woodpecker at 3 different locations, Reed buntings and Coal Tits as well as the usual. The feeders were very busy with all the usual birds as well as Pheasant, Grey Squirrel and Rabbit!
Hi Matt some warblers can be very difficult to see it's just a matter of patience seeing them.It's best to wait where they are singing they will eventually show themselves.Are you sure you saw Twite they are rare this time of year away from there breeding areas.You do see a few in the autumn and winter at Teeside. Also male and Female Twite look more or less the same.I expect you have seen a pair of Linnets which are common down at Tesside.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back