• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Tilery Wood - am - Crossbill x4, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, GSW, Bullfinch. Lots of Coal Tits. Buzzard over A689 heading NE by Wynyard Estate.

Seaton Snook - pm - Grey Plover c.40, Bar-tailed Godwit x1, Knot c.100, Dunlin c.150, Purple Sandpiper x12, Turnstone x10, Sanderling c.40, Curlew x3, Redshank x12, Oystercatcher x8. Cormorant c.20, Shag x12 plus RB Merganser x10 along Seaton Channel.

Attachments

• IMG_2115a.jpg
    IMG_2115a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2196a.jpg
    IMG_2196a.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2409a.jpg
    IMG_2409a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2671b.jpg
    IMG_2671b.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2749a.jpg
    IMG_2749a.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 89
Hi Mark

Interesting - I always leant towards the first one being Arctic and the latter just looks too mealy. But that is just from the photos.

Interested on Surfbirds to read Lee's views -as always I respect what he says. But to me the bird photos he introduces from the Lodge on that thread as being borderline Coues/Mealies are pretty obvious Mealies to me.

I find that confusing - without demeaning my self I know he knows what he is talking about and relatively i don't :-O

If he thinks they "could" be Coues there are maybe upto 30 possible Coues at Rainton IMO o:D.

I actually just assumed Lee had put those photos of the Lodge birds on as being part of the Mealy flock. I never thought it/they were possible Arctic!

Doc Reed - nice pics. All show Mealy Redpoll though; like Foghorn says, the bird is way too red for an Arctic. A male Arctic should show only the slightest hint of washed out pink, if any at all.

Mark

We need Mark to take another look.

Hi Ray.
Apologies with my initial comments to JBee that it was an Iceland. Quick look at one pic and I was on my way out the house.... (that's my excuse!) The bird is definitely a leucistic Herring, and has actually been around a while. I saw it at Rainton early January. Although looking very interesting on the ground, the flight shots show it to be nothing like an Iceland really. Great that you got the shots, very interesting bird.

Mark

I actually just assumed Lee had put those photos of the Lodge birds on as being part of the Mealy flock. I never thought it/they were possible Arctic!

Doc Reed - nice pics. All show Mealy Redpoll though; like Foghorn says, the bird is way too red for an Arctic. A male Arctic should show only the slightest hint of washed out pink, if any at all.

Mark

Thanks to all!! And sorry to gatecrash...have been desperate to find Arctic myself! This bird did stop me though..was very pale in field.....guess it might be like sparrowhawk/goshawk....once u have seen one ,u know the difference!

Really appreciate the help

Paul

A few more shots of the Leucistic Herring Gull.

Attachments

• leucistic_herring_gull-00012.jpg
    leucistic_herring_gull-00012.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 83
  • leucistic_herring_gull-00010.jpg
    leucistic_herring_gull-00010.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 75
  • leucistic_herring_gull-00017.jpg
    leucistic_herring_gull-00017.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 70
  • leucistic_herring_gull-00020.jpg
    leucistic_herring_gull-00020.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 85
  • leucistic_herring_gull-00025.jpg
    leucistic_herring_gull-00025.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 85
Tilery Wood - am - Crossbill x4, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, GSW, Bullfinch. Lots of Coal Tits. Buzzard over A689 heading NE by Wynyard Estate.

Seaton Snook - pm - Grey Plover c.40, Bar-tailed Godwit x1, Knot c.100, Dunlin c.150, Purple Sandpiper x12, Turnstone x10, Sanderling c.40, Curlew x3, Redshank x12, Oystercatcher x8. Cormorant c.20, Shag x12 plus RB Merganser x10 along Seaton Channel.

Ian

smashing merganser in flight! Love it....very scare inland down here, plenty goosander.Great shot!!!

Thanks to all!! And sorry to gatecrash...have been desperate to find Arctic myself! This bird did stop me though..was very pale in field.....guess it might be like sparrowhawk/goshawk....once u have seen one ,u know the difference!

Really appreciate the help

Paul

Hi Doc

Same predicament, all winter i have spent days out at places like Woodwalton fen, Cambridgeshire, Hatfield moors, south yorks, where at both i believe i had good candidates for Arctic, but views were brief. But Rainton Meadows reallly does offer the best opportunity of a few Arctics. Thats if they are still present. Do your best to get your self up there mate if you are keen to connect. :t:

John/Ray,

Do you know if your gull was the bird that came across the pager as Iceland yesterday?

Interesting Gull none the less

Cheers Gary

Probably was. It was originally posted on DBC as an Iceland Gull and the bird news services take reports from the DBC website.

John/Ray,

Do you know if your gull was the bird that came across the pager as Iceland yesterday?

Interesting Gull none the less

Cheers Gary

I'm not sure Gary, but in my post, I said possible Iceland gull, so I'm not sure whether It would be put across on the pager until It was correctly ID'd as an Iceland.

more trouble making....

a rather chilly day in Teesdale
highlights from a working visit of Black Grouse, ring tailed Hen Harrier, Brambling, Woodcock, Golden Plover, Little Owl, Barn Owl, Hare, Fox

first location, put the ladders up to find a Barn Owl pellet in an Ash fork right were we wanted the box - hopefully a good omen.

---------------------------------

pity that Iceland Gull has turned a bit slushy
whats this "D B C" stand for then ?
Doh !, Better Check ?
:-O

Only joking, we all know it stands for Damn fine Bird Conservationists ! :t:

Attachments

• BO_boxpell_JAN_2011.gif
    BO_boxpell_JAN_2011.gif
    234.7 KB · Views: 108
  • BO_box_JAN_2011.gif
    BO_box_JAN_2011.gif
    195.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm not sure Gary, but in my post, I said possible Iceland gull, so I'm not sure whether It would be put across on the pager until It was correctly ID'd as an Iceland.

Cheers Ray (and Ian). Thought RBA might have got the info from the Durham Forum. Going over to the reserve shortly - so hopefully some of the gulls come down to make it interesting!!!

Cheers Gary

By coincidence, the same leucistic Herring Gull from Rainton yesterday flew south past Whitburn Obs this morning, presumably having roosted at South Shields last night.

Pagers etc - Birdguides have access to DBC website so interesting bird news is lifted from there. RBA then lift info from the Birdguides website. Which is all well and good until mistakes are made...

During all the excitement of the gull, I forgot to post a few of the redpolls, taken yesterday, some of which are looking very pinkish on the chest.

Having got the gull wrong, I think I'll leave the ID'ing of these to the experts ;):-O.

Attachments

• _MG_5131.jpg
    _MG_5131.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_5276.jpg
    _MG_5276.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 92
  • _MG_5398.jpg
    _MG_5398.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 107
  • _MG_5421.jpg
    _MG_5421.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 96
  • _MG_5683.jpg
    _MG_5683.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 80
an afternoon birding & checking boxes in the Brasside area after work

wide selection as usual including :-

Green Woodpecker bounding away & later yaffling, 12Brambling, 4-5 Jay, Willow Tits, Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, 40Goldfinch, 5Nuthatch, 2Dabchick, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Little Owl, Reed Bunting, Stock Dove, Grey Partridge, a nice group of 25+ feeding Tree Sparrow,- only the odd single there before we put boxes in, another deceased Barnie, but another still alive & kicking.
etc etc

Two main ponds held
2 Wigeon, 3 Pochard, 20+Goldeneye, pr Teal, 55+Tufted, 105+Coot, 1 wild looking ( ;) ) Whooper Swan with 32 Mutes, 2Dabchick, single Water Rail (outlet pipe),
also, amongst 350 BHGull, a moulting sub juvenile 2nd calendar winter adult hybrid leucistic throwback moulting semi-palmated albino Mediterranean Gull showing well at range displaying all the diagnostic features

Attachments

• Finches_Feb_2011.gif
    Finches_Feb_2011.gif
    153.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Med2Brass_2011.gif
    Med2Brass_2011.gif
    216.2 KB · Views: 92
  • MedBrass_2011.gif
    MedBrass_2011.gif
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Chester Le Street Riverside

Scaup, Female Mandarin, at least 7 Goosander, Little Grebe and the usual swans, ducks & gulls.

And there was nothing special amongst the gulls ;), that is, apart from a few are starting to get there black head colouring.

Attachments

• _MG_6488.jpg
    _MG_6488.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_6713.jpg
    _MG_6713.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_6779.jpg
    _MG_6779.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_6907.jpg
    _MG_6907.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_7031.jpg
    _MG_7031.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back