• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier sp. Suffolk, UK (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Spent a very pleasant morning at Landguard NR yesterday (Sunday, 19/9) where a steady stream of Swallows cruised above the massed ranks of Meadow Pipits, Linnets and a couple of Wheatears on the deck. A couple of Tree Sparrows were dicing with the nets before heading off in the direction of the House Sparrows. The tamarisk scrub was peppered with a few Chiffchaff and Goldcrest with a couple of Willow Warblers and Whitethroat thrown in.

Anyway to the point... Heading back along the A14 at about 10:30 I noticed a Harrier just north of the road heading roughly west. It can't have been too far from Trimley. It was clearly not Marsh but there was nowhere to stop so I couldn't check it out. My gut feeling was Montagu's but I really didn't see very much on it.

A bit of a long shot I know but to satisfy my curiosity did anyone else see a Harrier in the area?

We were at Trimley Marshes on Sun 19th, and for the first time ever in our visits to the site we had an excellent sighting of a Marsh Harrier hunting over the field opposite the dock extension.
Also had a first for us with a sighting of a female Merlin from just 30 yards away on the track running parallel to the reserve. It kindly sat in a tree for us for about 5 minutes before flying off.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back