• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Claverdon, Warks (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Went on my first morning walk with my local RSPB group. Visited the farm of a keen farmer/birder. Turned into an excellent day for raptors, with five or six buzzards giving a good display, a display of fieldcraft by a kestrel, three hobbies circling overhead, a flypast by a sparrowhawk and then a high speed run by another hobby at low level straight towards us. Apart from that greenfinch, chaffinch and linnet. Not bad for a couple of hours.

Rob

Hi Rob
I bet those 2 hours shot by. You can become so engrossed that you lose all track of time.
On my local patch a man has spent the past 5-6 years just looking at a pair of Peregrines, to the virtual exclusion of every other bird on the reserve.
One day i went up to talk to him, just to see what made him do what he was doing.
He quickly pointed out a hunting bird,which we watched,for what only seemed like a couple of minutes, but actually turned out to be the best part of an hour.
Consequently i was late for work.
They are either doing something spectacular or sitting majesticly.
Raptors, You got to luv em

Roger

Roger,

Yes, it was great, in the countryside on a nice, sunny, autumnal morning. Will definitely do it again. My kids could never understand my fascination with raptors, until this year on a visit to N Spain when we saw 12 Griffon Vultures circling in the Picos de Europa.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back