• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help Texas terns and shorebirds (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Hi.

The attached were seen on Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston yesterday.

Could you see if you agree with my IDs? Many thanks.

Gull-billed Tern
Least Terns
Red Knot
Western Sandpiper
Wilson's Plover

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• gull-billed.jpg
    gull-billed.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 107
  • least.jpg
    least.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 106
  • red knot.jpg
    red knot.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 125
  • western.jpg
    western.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 106
  • wilsons.jpg
    wilsons.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
correct with the first two.

the third is not a knot (no pun intended) looks like a dowitcher sp.

can't help with the last two

Hi Jeff,

I think your IDs are correct for 1-2, and 4-5. #3 is certainly a tough angle and lighting! I'm thinking Stilt Sandpiper, given the well-defined supercilium, masked appearance, and remnants of barring on the belly. Bill and structure do not look quite right for a Dowitcher. (Does not seem long enough for one thing, though obviously length is difficult to judge from this angle).

Best,
Jim

Thanks to both of you.

#3 definitely wasn't a Dowitcher. I think Jim's probably right about Stilt.

4 out of 5 isn't bad for me with beach birds!

Jeff

No Forster's in there, just different ages of Least. Forster's would not have as much black around the eye, and it would tower over the Leasts.

The third photo is neither a dowitcher nor a Stilt. Both can be ruled out by the dark legs. The shape is good for dowitcher, but not Stilt, which is a very petite creature shaped more like a Lesser Yellowlegs. Beak shape and length don't match up for either too well.

The only other problem bird would be Willet, which never gets a supercillium like that nor traces of rust coloring underneath. This is a worn breeding Red Knot.

The third photo is neither a dowitcher nor a Stilt. Both can be ruled out by the dark legs. ... This is a worn breeding Red Knot.

Not necessarily disagreeing with Knot (it does appear bulky for a Stilt Sand). But the tibias are longer than one would expect on a Knot. Compare this photo: http://www.birdspix.com/Species%20folders/Red%20Knot/Red%20Knot%20juv%20012%20cr.jpg
Furthermore, non-breeding Red Knots have light legs. Surely, if this is a Red Knot, it is not in breeding plumage, and so should also have light legs. Moreover, the legs are in the shade, and I don't think we can accurately tell whether they are dark or not (and in fact, when I lighten the photo, the legs appear somewhat lighter than the bill).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back